Spicy Avocado Toast with Chickpea & Pomegranate
Updated: Jan 19, 2022
When it came to eating vegan breakfasts for a week, I had the hardest time trying to figure out creative ways to get my source of protein in. I've relied so much on eggs in my life, so I had to think outside of the box. That's where the Arab in me popped out and said, "chickpeas". To all of my vegans out here, when in doubt, add chickpeas into your meals. With this meal, I used ¼ cup of chickpeas, which is roughly 4 grams of protein. It's not a lot, however, I added 1 TSP of hemp seeds, which is about 8 more grams of protein! So, nothing to worry about with this vegan breakfast. You have your carbs from the sourdough bread, your healthy fats from the avocado and olive oil in the arugula, your fruit from the pomegranate, and your delicious kick of flavor from the harissa I spread onto the toast. This was an incredibly easy breakfast to make and only took 10 minutes to make. So, if this flavor combo sounds up your alley, try to give it a go yourself!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
This recipe is dairy free, vegetarian, and vegan.
1. 1 piece of sourdough bread
2. ¼ cup of chickpeas, cooked, drained, and washed
3. Your desired amount of pomegranate seeds
4. 1 handful of arugula
5. ½ avocado
7. Extra virgin olive oil
8. ½ lemon
9. 1 TSP hemp seeds
10. Salt, black pepper
1. First, make sure you have your chickpeas and pomegranate seeds ready to go. --> I usually meal prep these both so I can easily incorporate them into all of my meals.
2. Toast one piece of sourdough bread.
3. While you're waiting on the sourdough, grab a plate and add a handful of arugula to the plate. Drizzle on a bit of olive oil and squeeze ½ lemon onto the arugula. Salt to your liking.
4. Now, grab your avocado and thinly slice the avocado like shown above.
5. Let's put everything together now. On your toasted sourdough, spread on harissa to your liking, but be wary, it is spicy! Then, gently add your sliced avocado. Then top with the chickpeas and pomegranate seeds. Sprinkle on the TSP of hemp seeds. Season with salt and black pepper to your liking.
6. Slice the toast in half if you'd like, and enjoy!