You've seen my baked eggplant recipe, now you're seeing it again but on TOAST. This recipe makes for an incredible lunch. You want to know a secret? I had nothing left in my fridge the day I made this for myself and I put all of these ingredients together and it was FATE. I swear to you, the best recipes I come up with is when I'm running low on groceries. So take this as a word of advice, use your empty fridge and cabinets to your advantage. You'll have so much fun coming up with a new recipe like I did with this one. So, without further a do, I present to you Baked Eggplant, Chickpea, and Pomegranate Toast. Let's get to it.
Yields: 2 toasts
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
This recipe is dairy free, vegetarian, and vegan.
2. ¼ cup of already cooked chickpeas
3. 2 TBSPs pomegranate seeds
4. 1 eggplant
5. 2 pieces of sourdough
6. Hemp seeds
7. Spicy olive oil
8. Salt, black pepper, Aleppo pepper, garlic powder
9. ½ lemon
Replacement suggestion: I use spicy olive oil for many of my recipes, but feel free to use regular extra virgin olive oil for this. If you want to make your own spicy olive oil, simply marinate chili peppers and/or jalapeño peppers in olive oil up to 24 hours then you can use it on anything!
1. First, preheat your oven to 400.
2. Grab an eggplant and wash well. Put it on a baking pan and bake for 35 minutes.
3. As you’re waiting, toast two pieces of sourdough bread.
4. Once the eggplant is done, gently peel off the skin. Chop up the inner part of the eggplant into small pieces and add into a small bowl. Remove any of the seeds inside of the eggplant, those shouldn't be in the bowl.
5. Drizzle on ½ lemon, olive oil, sprinkle on salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Mix well.
6. Now time to layer. On the toast: add the arugula, baked eggplant, chickpeas, pom seeds, and hemp seeds. Drizzle on spicy olive oil, salt, black pepper, and a dash of Aleppo pepper. Enjoy!