Three more days until football season officially kicks off and we are going into this new season with delicious and easy snacks to serve our friends and family.
These are my simple & super flavorful, "Buffalo Chicken Taco Bites." I made these for Labor Day Weekend but as practice for the real deal this coming Thursday.
All you need are small tortillas, chicken breast, buffalo sauce, cayenne sauce, Pepper jack cheese, and cilantro! They were so fun to make and require beginner cooking skills. Just make sure you have a muffin tray and you'll be good to go.
These snacks are high in protein and can be easily paired with some yummy vegetables on the side for more dietary fiber. So, let me stop talking and let's get to the recipe shall we?
Prep time: 45 minutes (to cook the chicken breast)
Total time: 1 hour
This recipe can be made dairy free by opting out of the cheese or using a vegan cheese. This recipe can be made gluten free by using corn tortillas instead of flour.
1. 2 bags of mini flour (or corn tortillas)
2. 2 packs of boneless skinless chicken breast tenderloins
--> you can also use rotisserie chicken
--> you're going to need bay leaves and 1 lemon just to boil the chicken (this provides a fresh smell/taste to the chicken breast)
3. Buffalo sauce of choice (I use Primal Kitchen)
4. Cayenne pepper sauce of choice
5. 1-2 8oz block of Pepper jack cheese
6. Extra virgin olive oil spray
7. Fresh cilantro, finely chopped to garnish
1. First, preheat your oven to 375.
2. Next, grab a large pot and fill it up with water about 1/2 way. Add sliced lemons and 4 bay leaves. Add in the chicken breast tenderloins and allow them to fully cook.
3. While the chicken is cooking, shred your Pepper jack cheese into a bowl. I personally love freshly grated cheese over store-bought shredded cheese. Those tend to be more processed than the cheese you'd get at your local deli.
4. Grab your muffin tray and spray it down with olive oil spray. In each muffin hole, gently place each tortilla. You want them to look like mini cups.
5. Spray them down with olive oil spray again and bake them in the oven until they are lightly brown and toasty. But, don't over bake them you will need to put them in the oven again after.
6. At this time, the chicken breast should be done cooking. Drain the water from the pot and add the chicken breast into a bowl. You can either use a Kitchen Aid to shred the chicken breast or shred them by hand. Have them all shredded in that same bowl. Pour on your desired amount of buffalo sauce. You want all of the chicken to be evenly coated. Add more if you'd like. Drizzle in 1 TSP of pepper sauce, but if you really like spice, feel free to add more.
7. (Check on the tortilla cups). In each tortilla cup, add in an equal amount of shredded cheese. Then, add in an equal amount of buffalo chicken into each. Top with shredded cheese and coat all of the tortilla cups with olive oil spray one more time.
8. Bake them in the oven until the tortilla cups are toasted and crispy.
9. Garnish with fresh cilantro and a dash of black pepper if you'd like.
10. Repeat this process for the remaining chicken breast and tortillas. (Thankfully I had 2 muffin trays to use so I hope you do too!)