As much as I love going to Chipotle and picking up a chicken bowl with heavy guac, I love making my own taco bowl at home where I know what ingredients are going into my food. So, let's make our own Chipotle bowl, shall we?
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
This recipe is dairy free and gluten free.
1. 1 16oz can of black beans
2. 2 chicken breasts
3. ½ head of lettuce
4. 1 green bell pepper (or a combo of 3 bell peppers red, yellow, orange and use ⅓ of each)
Pro tip: You can cook the cup of rice, saute the chicken and peppers, and saute the black beans all at the same time! Just prep everything before starting.
1. Rice: Cook 1 cup of rice.
2. Chicken: Have your 2 chicken breasts filleted and chopped into thinner, smaller elongated pieces. Chop your bell pepper(s) into thin slices. Grab a large frying pan and add in 1-2 TBSPs of olive oil. Once the olive oil heats up add in your chicken and bell peppers and sauté on medium to low heat. Season with adobo, Cajun seasoning, & taco seasoning. Be generous with the seasonings. Sauté until the chicken is cooked well through. Leave to the side.
4. Lettuce: chop ½ head of lettuce into thin strips and leave to the side.
5. Pico de Gallo: Finely dice one tomato into small cubes and add to a bowl. Chop up ½ an onion into small pieces. Add ¼ of them into the bowl (the other half will be used for the black beans). Next, finely dice 1 cup of cilantro. Sprinkle your desired amount onto the tomato and onion. Now, season with ½ lime, 1 TSP of olive oil, salt and black pepper to your liking. Mix well and leave to the side.
6. Black beans: Grab a medium sized pan and add in 1 TBSP of olive oil and the remaining chopped onion. Cook on medium-low heat, once you can smell the onion add in your black beans. Season with 1/4 TSP of salt and add in ½ cup of boiled water. Cover and let it cook for 5-10 minutes. Once the water has evaporated, taste test for any more salt and turn off the heat.
7. Avocado: Chop up ½ an avocado into thin strips.
Now, put your whole bowl together. Garnish with extra cilantro and enjoy!