I'm not going to rely on a good deli to make me a chicken caprese sandwich and neither should you. Summer time is all about hitting the beach, taking a mid-day break to wait in a 30 minute line at your favorite deli shop, and eating your sandwich on the beach.
But, what if I teach you how to make your favorite sandwich at the comfort of your own home? AND you'll be aware of what ingredients are going into your food?
This is my take on a very well-known deli sandwich, "Chicken Caprese Sandwich." This is my all-time favorite and let me tell you, this IS the best sandwich I've ever created and I know you're going to LOVE it.
You're going to need a baguette of choice, deli mozzarella, tomato, spinach, basil, chicken, and balsamic glaze. This is such an incredible sandwich to make for yourself on a weekend that you can enjoy at home or pack for the beach. You've got your lean protein source from the chicken, veggie source from the spinach and tomato, healthy source of calcium from the mozzarella, and satisfaction factor from the basil and balsamic glaze.
Let me stop talking and show you how to make it!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
This recipe can be easily made vegetarian if you'd like to opt out of the chicken.
1. Baguette sliced into 2, 7-8 inch slices
2. 4 slices of deli mozzarella
4. 1 plum tomato, sliced into thin rounds
5. 1 chicken breast, defrosted, brined
6. Balsamic glaze
7. 1 basil leaf
8. Maldon salt or regular salt
1. Extra virgin olive oil
2. Juice of ½ lemon
3. 1/4 TSP salt
4. Black pepper to your liking
5. Garlic powder to your liking
6. ½ TSP Dried basil
1. First, have your chicken breast defrosted and brined. You can brine the chicken in cold water with vinegar, lemon, and sea salt for up to 15 minutes. Have your oven on bake at 375.
2. Once it's done, take the chicken out and pat dry. Place it into a bowl and season with lemon, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and dried basil. Make sure the chicken is evenly coated.
3. Now, grab a frying pan and drizzle in 1-2 TBSPs of olive oil on medium-high heat. Once you can smell the olive oil, gently add in the chicken breast. Sear it on both sides for 3-4 minutes each.
4. Then, gently place the chicken onto a baking sheet (you've already placed aluminum foil onto the baking sheet). Bake in the oven until the inside of the chicken is completely white.
5. As you were waiting for the chicken to finish baking you: toasted both pieces of the baguette with one of them having 4 slices of mozzarella on top to melt. You chopped the tomatoes and have all the ingredients ready to complete the sandwich.
6. Now let's put it all together: layer spinach onto the melted mozzarella, add on the sliced chicken breast, top with the tomatoes and basil leaf. Drizzle on your desired amount of balsamic glaze, and add a sprinkle of salt to taste.
7. Add the second piece of the baguette on top and gently slice your sandwich down the middle.