Chickpea & Kidney Bean Salad Sandwich with Avocado
Updated: May 9, 2022
This sandwich was so good that the sun just couldn't stop giving it the spotlight it deserved. Some of my fellow foodies I follow on Instagram have created "chickpea sandwiches" as a vegan way to enjoy a tuna sandwich. I loved the idea and had to recreate it.
So, my spin on the sandwich was chickpea and kidney bean to add another source of plant protein. I added celery, garlic, and green bell pepper into the chickpea & kidney bean salad mix, and combined it with fresh arugula and avocado.
You're going to LOVE this sandwich, and so easy to make. You can make this as a meal prepped lunch for yourself or you and a friend! Just give yourself 10 minutes of your day and you'll end up with a delicious and nutritious sandwich. Let me show you how to make it!
Prep time: 5-8 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
This recipe is dairy free, vegetarian, and vegan.
1. 2 pieces of sourdough
2. ½ avocado
4. ⅓ cup of chickpeas (cooked, drained, washed)
5. ⅓ cup of kidney beans (cooked, drained, washed)
6. 1 celery stalk
7. 1 clove of garlic
8. ¼ green bell pepper
9. 1 lemon
10. Extra virgin olive oil
11. Salt, lemon pepper, chili powder
1. First, toast your two pieces of sourdough bread.
2. While you're waiting, have your chickpeas and kidney beans ready. Place them in a bowl and mash them well.
3. Finely dice your celery, garlic, and green bell pepper. Add them into the bowl with the chickpeas and kidney beans and mash them well. Drizzle on 1 TSP of olive oil and the juice of ½ lemon. Add salt and lemon pepper to your liking. Add ¼ TSP of chili powder. Mix very well.
4. On one piece of sourdough, add arugula and top with the chickpea & kidney bean salad mix you just made.
5. Add ½ sliced avocado on top as seen in the picture on the left.
6. If you want it a bit spicier, add more chili powder on top.
7. Add the other piece of toasted sourdough on top and cut the sandwich in half.