Citrus Shrimp Salad with a Brown Rice and Arugula Base
Kiwi and mango in a salad? Yes. With shrimp, arugula, brown rice, red bell pepper, and cilantro too. It can't get better than this combo. The flavors in this salad were so wonderful and refreshing for summertime. You have all your daily nutrient requirements all in one bowl, you can't go wrong! I would like to note that if you are a vegetarian/vegan, you can opt out of the shrimp and enjoy the salad as is! You will still be able to indulge in all the flavors the recipe has to offer. So, let's get to it.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
This recipe is dairy free, gluten free, and pescatarian.
1. 12 large shrimp
2. ½ cup of brown rice
4. ½ avocado
5. 1 kiwi
6. ¼ mango
7. ¼ red bell pepper
8. Fresh cilantro
9. Extra virgin olive oil
10. 1 lemon
11. Kosher salt
12. Freshly ground black pepper
13. Garlic powder
14. Chili powder
1. First, make sure your shrimp is defrosted. Place them into a small bowl to marinate. Add 1 TBSP of olive oil, the juice of ½ lemon, and salt to your liking. Add 1 TSP of garlic powder and ½ TSP of chili powder or more if you like it spicy. Mix well and let it sit for a bit.
2. Next, grab a small pot to cook your brown rice.
3. While the brown rice is cooking, grab a serving bowl and a cutting board to start prepping.
4. First, grab 2 handfuls of arugula and chop medium. Add it to the bowl.
5. Next, finely dice the kiwi, mango, and red bell pepper. Add them to the bowl.
6. Now, chop medium your avocado and add it to the bowl.
7. Now it's time to sauté the shrimp.
8. Place a frying pan on the stove, turn the heat to medium-high. drizzle in 1-2 TBSPs of olive oil, and once it simmers, add in the shrimp. It should sizzle on contact.
9. Make sure to flip the shrimp so they cook evenly. It shouldn’t take more than 5-8 minutes to sauté. You will know they cooked fully when the tails are bright red.
10. Once they are done, let them cool a bit, and cut them into halves. Add them to the bowl.
11. Now for the dressing: in a small bowl add 2 TBSPs of olive oil, the juice of ½ lemon, salt to your liking, and ¼ TSP of sumac. Mix well and pour onto the salad.
12. Lastly, finely chop up some cilantro to garnish.