Because is there anything better than going to a diner on a Sunday morning and ordering a side of home fries? Well, I'm bringing the diner to you!
Everyone should know how to make a good, flavorful, and crispy bowl of home fries and I'm going to show you how to make them in under 30 minutes! All you're going to need is white potatoes, parsley, onion, and your entire spice cabinet.
These home fries can be paired with scrambled eggs and a side of arugula and parmesan salad (which is up on my blog). This way you can get a source of simple carbs from the potatoes, lean protein from the eggs, a non-starchy vegetable from the arugula, and a healthy fat from the parmesan. The perfect, balanced breakfast.
So, let me show you how to make these perfect Diner Style Home Fries!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
This recipe is dairy free, gluten free, vegetarian, and vegan.
1. 4 white potatoes
2. Fresh parsley to garnish, finely chopped
3. ½ yellow onion, finely diced
4. Extra virgin olive oil
5. 1 TSP salt, 1 TSP garlic powder, 1 TSP chili powder, 1 TSP paprika, ½ TSP onion powder, black pepper freshly ground
6. Maldon salt (optional to garnish)
1. First, thoroughly wash the potatoes and rinse under cold water.
2. Chop the potatoes in half-inch cubes. Add them into a medium sized pot and pour in water until it's an inch above the potatoes. Add a dash of salt.
3. Allow them to boil without a cover on until they soften. Poke a fork through to test. Don't allow the potatoes to become too mushy.
4. Prepare the onion and parsley for later use.
5. Once the potatoes are done boiling, drain the potatoes and ensure there is no excess water left. Allow the potatoes to cool for a bit.
6. Now, season the potatoes with 1 TSP salt, 1 TSP garlic powder, 1 TSP chili powder, 1 TSP paprika, ½ TSP onion powder, and freshly ground black pepper to your liking. Mix very well and make sure all the potatoes are evenly coated.
6. Grab a large frying pan, and pour in 3 TBSPs of olive oil and add in the onion. Stir and allow the onion to simmer. Once you can smell the onion, add in the potatoes. Stir the potatoes in with the onion.
7. Have the potatoes laid out in a single layer and allow them to cook without stirring for about 10 minutes on medium heat. You want them to crisp up!
8. Stir the potatoes and taste test for salt or black pepper. Add if necessary.
9. If you want your potatoes really crispy, set the stove to low heat and allow them to slowly crisp without burning them.
10. Turn the heat off, add them to a bowl, and garnish with maldon salt and fresh parsley.