I call these the pizzas of the Middle East. When you see the word "manoushe" it just means flatbread with "stuff on it", like zaatar, cheese, or meat. Now, this is my lazy version of manaqish because the real way is to make the dough yourself with sugar, water, flour, salt, and yeast. But, with our busy schedules, using pita bread/naan is the best way to go. These are my Easy Za'atar Manaqish that you can make for yourself in under 15 minutes with only 5 minutes of prep.
I love incorporating these into my meals for a delicious carb source and it's easy to pair with protein sources like eggs and vegetable sources like tomatoes and cucumber. So, let's get to the recipe.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
This recipe is dairy free, vegetarian, and vegan.
1. 2 Stonefire Original or Garlic (mini version)
3. Extra virgin olive oil
4. Aleppo pepper
5. 1 cucumber, sliced into half moons
6. 5 cherry tomatoes, sliced in halves
7. Maldon salt or regular salt to garnish
8. Fresh mint to garnish
1. Preheat your oven to 400 and place each naan on a baking pan with aluminum foil.
2. In a separate bowl, pour in 3 TBSPs of olive oil. Now, add ¼ cup of zaatar. Mix. You want a thick consistency so add more zaatar if necessary. If it's too thick add in more olive oil.
3. Add in Aleppo pepper for extra spice if you'd like. It's mild, so don't be shy.
4. Spread this mix onto the bread and make sure to evenly coat the bread, leaving ½ inch of space around the edges.
5. Place into the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
6. Have cucumber, tomato, and mint prepared.
7. Garnish the manaqish with cucumber, tomato, mint, and salt to taste.