This is a delicious twist on an “egg in a hole”. I baked the sweet potato the night before so it was easier to use the morning of, since I allowed it to harden a bit in the fridge overnight. It was such a nutritious and wholesome breakfast and I hope you guys try to make it! Let’s get to it.
Prep time: overnight but can be day of
Total time: 1 hour
This recipe is dairy free, gluten free, and vegetarian.
1. 1 baked sweet potato
2. 1 egg
3. 1/2 a sliced avocado
5. Pumpkin seeds
6. Extra virgin olive oil
8. Black pepper, adobo seasoning, chili powder, paprika
1. First, make sure your sweet potato has been baked for 40-45 minutes in the oven. If you don’t have time to let it sit overnight you can just do it the morning of!
2. Whether the night before or the day of, you're going to want to scoop out the inside of the baked sweet potato and mash it well. Leave a good amount to sauté. You don’t have to create a perfect rectangle like I did just make sure it’s a big enough block to create a hole in the middle.
3. Cut a circular hole in the middle big enough to fit the egg for later.
4. Now, grab a small-sized frying pan and drizzle in 1 TBSP of olive oil. Once it simmers, add your sweet potato block.
5. Season with adobo, black pepper, chili powder, and paprika to your liking.
6. Sauté for 3 minutes on medium-low heat and then crack the egg into the hole you created.
7. Add a bit more adobo.
8. Cover and cook until the egg is to your liking.
9. Now, on a plate, add a handful of arugula.
10. Place your egg in a sweet potato onto the arugula.
11. Top with sliced avocado and pumpkin seeds.
12. Garnish with olive oil, salt, and black pepper to taste.