I present to you a delicious, vegetarian sandwich you can make yourself with 6 ingredients only, in under 10 minutes, "Halloumi & Hummus Sandwich." If you've never heard of halloumi, it is a semi-hard, unripened cheese made from a mixture of goat's and sheep's milk. It's great to sear or grill and add onto sandwiches or salads. Did I mention each 1 inch cube is 6 grams of protein? You can't go wrong with this sandwich. You get your veggie source from the arugula, fire roasted peppers, and tomato, your carbs from the baguette, your protein from the halloumi, and your healthy fats from the hummus.
You can choose to make your own hummus for this recipe or use store-bought hummus, it's up to you! I recommend making a batch of my authentic Syrian hummus and have it in your fridge for up to two weeks. So, if this sounds like a recipe you'd try, let's get to the full details!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
This recipe is vegetarian.
1. Halloumi cheese (I used Aphrodite Halloumi from Whole Foods)
2. Baguette of choice (I used an olive baguette) --> If you don't have a baguette, use bread that you have
4. Fire roasted peppers
6. ½ lemon
7. Salt, black pepper
8. Extra virgin olive oil
9. ½ heirloom tomato
1. First, slice your baguette in half. It's your choice if you'd like to toast your bread.
2. While you wait for your bread to toast, slice your halloumi cheese into thinner strips. 4-5 pieces are great.
3. Grab a frying pan and add the halloumi slices onto the pan. Cook for 1-2 minutes on medium-high heat until golden brown. Then flip and cook the other side for 1-2 more minutes.
4. For the toppings: Grab your fire roasted peppers and slice them into thinner pieces. For the tomato, slice into thin rounds. For the arugula place a handful into a bowl and pour on ½ TBSP of olive oil, juice of ½ lemon, and dash of salt. Mix arugula well.
4. Let's put the sandwich all together: spread the hummus onto the bread. Add the arugula. Add the fire roasted peppers and tomato. Add the roasted halloumi cheese. Top with the other piece of bread.