Homemade Bagel Bites
You can't look me in the eyes (through the screen) and tell me you didn't grow up eating bagel bites. They are one of the best snacks, but since the goal is to limit our intake of highly processed foods, I decided to make them on my own! We are here to enjoy the foods we love but learn to make them a bit more nutritious & satieting.
I used mini bagels from Trader Joe's for the base, marinara sauce, & fresh mozzarella for the cheese. Believe it or not but mozzarella cheese is low in lactose and a great source of calcium & protein. Lactose tends to give people IBD-like symptoms so mozzarella can be an easier cheese on the gut. Calcium is a vital nutrient for vitamin D absorption & maintaining strong bones and protein is an essential macronutrient important for building muscle.
These bagel bites took 5 minutes to make and they can either make for a great snack to make for a gathering with friends or a quick snack for yourself. So let's get to the recipe!
1 Mini bagels (Trader Joe's)
2. Marinara sauce (of your choice)
3. Fresh mozzarella, shredded
4. Extra virgin olive oil
6. Black pepper
7. Dried oregano
1.First, preheat your oven to 425. You can use an airfryer, a toaster oven, or your conventional oven.
2. Next grab the mini bagels and slice them in half.
3. Place the bagel halves on a baking tray with aluminum foil on it.
4. Spread the tomato sauce evenly on each bagel half.
5. Have the fresh mozzarella shredded in a bowl.
6. Sprinkle on mozzarella evenly onto each bagel half. Don't forget the corners.
7. Coat olive oil onto all of the bagels halves.
8. Sprinkle on salt & dried oregano onto the bagel halves to taste.
9. Toast in the oven until the cheese has melted & the bagels are golden brown.
10. Remove the bagels from the oven gently, allow them to cool, & enjoy!