Next up in the "back to basics" series - "How to make quinoa not taste like cardboard."
Do me a favor and do NOT sleep on quinoa. The Incas had a reason for loving this grain and incorporating it into their diets.
Quinoa is rich in fiber and protein and makes for a great salad base. 1 cup of quinoa is 51% of our DV of manganese and 19% of our DV of folate, which are two micronutrients you don't find often either.
Did I mention quinoa is gluten free too? So, if you are not knowing how to cook quinoa properly at home, let me show you how to make a hearty, delicious bowl of quinoa in under 15 minutes!
All you need is white quinoa, turmeric, black pepper, and salt. Let's get to the recipe!
Yields: Enough meal prepped quinoa for 5-7 days
Prep time: 2 minutes
Total time: 12-15 minutes
This recipe is dairy free, gluten free, vegetarian, and vegan.
1. 1 cup of white quinoa
2. ¼ TSP turmeric
3. Black pepper to taste
4. ½ TSP salt
5. 1 3/4 - 2 cups of boiled water
1. First, grab a 1 cup of white quinoa and thoroughly rinse it.
2. Then, grab a small saucepan and place it on the stove top. Add the quinoa in and pour in your already boiled water. 1 3/4 -2 cups of water per 1 cup of quinoa.
3. Season the quinoa with turmeric, black pepper, and salt. Mix, reduce the heat to medium heat, cover the pot with a lid.
4. The quinoa will be done once all of the water has been soaked up.
5. Turn the stove off, keep the lid on the pot, and allow the quinoa to cool for about 5-10 minutes. This way it fluffs a bit.