This is probably the yummiest soup I’ve ever made and it’s highly nutritious. It’s an amazing source of beta-carotene which is key for healthy skin, nails, eyes, and immunity. I combined it with lentils and made a protein rich soup. Let’s get to it shall we?
Yields: 6 bowls
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
This recipe is dairy free, gluten free, vegetarian, and vegan.
1. 1 kabocha squash
2. 1 cup of lentils
3. Mirepoix (carrots, celery, onion): ¼ cup of chopped celery, ¼ cup of carrots, and ½ cup of diced white onion
4. ½ TSP turmeric
5. 1 TSP cumin
6. ½ cup red lentils
7. ½ TSP black pepper
8. Salt to your liking
9. 4 TBSPs of extra virgin olive oil
10. Garnish with parsley
Replacement suggestion: If you have a sensitivity to onion, feel free to leave it out of the mirepoix.
1. First, make sure you washed your veggies, squash, and lentils.
2. When you chop your squash empty out the seeds and leave the skin (this is the most nutritious part).
3. Finely dice your mirepoix and leave to the side.
4. In a big pot, add 4 TBSPs of olive oil and your onion. Once you can smell the onion add in the carrots and celery and mix well. You should have it on medium-high heat.
5. After 4 minutes you can add in already boiled water (I used my electric kettle to heat up the water) and fill to ¾ of the pot. Stir well.
6. Now, add your squash and lentils. Stir well. Add the cumin, turmeric, black pepper, and salt. Move the heat down to medium-low and cover the pot. Let it cook for up to 40 minutes.
7. You can check on it to see if it needs any more flavor like salt or black pepper. Once the lentils are cooked well, put the heat to low and grab an immersion blender and puree the soup. Let it simmer for another 5 minutes.
8. Once it’s done add to a bowl, garnish with some parsley, and enjoy!