For my vegan, gluten free, dairy free friends this is going to be the salad on repeat for you this winter. Not only is it delicious, but it's a great source of plant-based iron that most people don't obtain in their diets. Eating this salad will fill you up and improve your well being at the same time! Did I mention you get 14 grams of protein and 10 grams of dietary fiber from this salad, making this a balanced meal and gut-happy salad as well?! If you want to add more protein with this salad, I suggest sautéing some shrimp, it will pair perfectly.
It is a simple salad you can make for yourself under 20 minutes and it's the perfect salad to meal prep as well. None of the ingredients will become soggy in the fridge once meal-prepped, so I highly suggest making this large batch for yourself. This recipe is good for about 4 separate meals, but you can always make more if you'd like.
All you need is lentils, quinoa, pomegranate seeds, scallions, lemons, and parsley. The rest you will have in your pantry! Let's get to the recipe.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
This recipe is dairy free, gluten free, vegetarian, and vegan.
1. 1.5 cups uncooked green lentils, washed
2. 1 bunch of parsley, washed & finely chopped
3. 1 cup of pomegranate seeds
4. 1 cup quinoa, cooked (the red coloring is from cooking the quinoa in beet juice - you don't have to do that)
5. 2 scallion, finely chopped
6. 2 TBSPs extra virgin olive oil
7. Juice of 2 lemons
9. 1 TSP sumac
10. 1 TSP white vinegar
11. 1 clove garlic, minced
1. First, rinse your lentils. Grab a small pot and fill it half way with water. Place it onto the stove top on medium-high heat. Add the lentils and allow them to cook until they are soft, but don't allow them to become mushy. They will not need more than 10 minutes.
2. On another stove top, cook the quinoa. 1 cup of quinoa will need 2 cups of water. Allow the quinoa to cook on medium heat until the quinoa has soaked up all of the water. It will not need more than 10 minutes. Salt the water to taste.
3. While you're waiting for the lentils and quinoa, prepare the pomegranate seeds, parsley, and scallion.
4. Prepare the dressing: in a small bowl pour in the 2 TBSPs of extra virgin olive oil, the juice of 2 lemons, 1 TSP sumac, 1 TSP white vinegar, and minced garlic clove. Mix well. Add salt to taste (about 1-1.5 TSPs).
- The key is to taste the salad and add more after, you never want to over salt.
5. The quinoa and the lentils should be done cooking. Strain the lentils.
6. In a serving bowl, add in the lentils, 1 cup of quinoa, scallions, pomegranate seeds, and parsley. Pour on the dressing. Mix well.