I think broccolini is an elite vegetable to make at home and I am here to teach you how to make it taste like it does at a fancy restaurant. If you've never had broccolini, it is usually known as baby broccoli. It is a blend between broccoli and Chinese broccoli, which is why it looks slightly different than normal broccoli. Broccoli tends to be firmer and has more densely packed florets at the top. But broccolini, which tends to be more enjoyed by people, has a thinner more delicate stalk. So when you cook broccoli, it's softer and easier to eat.
Broccolini is not only delicious, but it is a great source of fiber to incorporate into meals. Anytime you want a side of greens and fiber, make this broccolini recipe. Just like it's friend, broccoli, it's a good source of iron and calcium, which your body wants for healthy blood circulation and bone strength.
All you're going to need to make this recipe is garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, and extra virgin olive oil. Let's get to the recipe.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
This recipe is gluten free and vegetarian. This recipe can be easily made dairy free and vegan by opting out of the cheese.
1. 1lb broccolini
2. 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
3. 4 cloves fresh garlic
5. Red pepper flakes
6. Optional garnish of grated parmesan cheese
1. First, have a pot of water boiling on high.
2. Have your broccolini washed and cut an inch off the stems of each broccolini.
3. Once the water is boiling, add in the broccolini. Don't let them boil more than 2 minutes, you don't want them to wilt or lose their nutrients. (Yes - veggies can lose their nutrient profile in boiling water!)
4. Immediately immerse the broccolini in a large bowl filled with ice water. This is the process of blanching. Then, drain the broccolini in a colander and set them aside.
5. Grab a medium or large sized frying pan and place it onto the stove on medium-low heat. Pour in 1 TBSP of olive oil and add the minced garlic. Don't allow the garlic to brown. Add in the broccolini once you can smell the garlic.
6. Season with salt and red pepper flakes to taste. Sauté until they are cooked through. You can cover the pan with a lid and allow them to cook for up to 5 more minutes.
7. Grab a serving plate and add the broccolini on. Garnish with salt to taste and parmesan cheese to your liking.