Dairy Free Marinated Flank Steak Tacos With Pico de Gallo & Arugula
Updated: May 9, 2022
Yeah, these are the tacos you're going to want to save and try out. Personally, I'm not one to eat red meat, but when I do have it occasionally, I like to enjoy quality, grass fed, pasture raised steak or halal meat from my local Middle Eastern market.
So, if you're a fan of red meat, these flank steak tacos are for YOU. Bonus points if you're a gym junkie who needs a delicious, macro friendly dinner recipe. You got your great source of high protein from the flank steaks, veggies from arugula and pico de gallo, healthy fats from the avocado, and carbs from the tortillas.
Make these for yourself one night you're feeling Mexican food but don't want to get dressed up and drive to a restaurant. You'll be so impressed with yourself and the process is so simple, don't let the prep time get to you. The steak just needs time to marinate, which is why I suggest marinating the night before. The longer, the tastier! Then the night you want to make these tacos, it will only take you 30 minutes to make! SO, if I've influenced you enough to try these out, let's get to the recipe.
Prep time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
This recipe is dairy free.
1. 2 pounds grass fed, pasture raised, flank steak with excess fat trimmed off
4. ¼ TSP or more if you'd like of red pepper flakes
5. Juice of 2 limes
6. 1 TBSP of ground cumin
7. 1 TSP of salt
8. ½ TSP of ground black pepper
1. Pico de gallo from Trader Joe's
3. Tortilla wraps
4. 1 avocado
5. Fresh cilantro for garnish
6. Maldon salt for garnish
If you are marinating the steak overnight follow these directions first -->
1. Grab your 2 flank steaks and place them in a bowl. Add in all the ingredients of the marinade. Mix the marinade well so both steaks are well and evenly coated. Either keep them in the bowl or place them both in separate zip loc bags with an equal amount of the marinade.
2. Marinate for 24 hours. Then follow the next set of directions.
If you are cooking the steaks the same night follow these directions -->
1. Grab your 2 flank steaks and place them in a bowl. Add in all the ingredients of the marinade. Mix the marinade well so both steaks are well and evenly coated.
2. Place the flank steaks on a baking pan, and have the oven preheated to 400. You can either choose to just broil the steaks or bake them. If you choose to broil you need to closely watch the steaks because they could burn very quickly. If you choose to bake, bake on 400 until the steaks are cooked through to your liking. I like mine medium well and I personally had them in there for 35 minutes. But each oven is different.
3. As the steaks are baking, prepare your taco fillings. Have your pico de gallo, arugula, freshly chopped cilantro for garnish, and chopped avocado ready.
4. Have your tortillas slightly warmed up on the stove or toaster oven. Warming them up reduces the risk of them breaking.
5. Once the steaks are too your liking, gently take them out and let them cool a bit.
6. Cut each steak into thin pieces so they can perfectly fit the tortillas.
7. Let's put them all together: grab a tortilla, add a small amount of arugula, add 3-4 pieces of steak, add 1 TBSP of pico de gallo or more, add 2 small pieces of avocado, and garnish with Maldon salt and fresh cilantro.
8. Repeat for each taco, add hot sauce if you'd like, and enjoy!