Mediterranean Delicata Squash Nourish Bowl
Updated: Sep 13
Let me be honest. Before 2020, I had no idea delicata squash existed. When you've lived in an Arab household and have your Arab mom cooking for you all of your life, you tend to miss out on some obvious American foods, like delicata squash! This was my first time incorporating it into a meal and it was so savory and sweet at the same time. Not only is it delicious but it is a great source of potassium and dietary fiber. So, let me show you how I incorporated this squash into a Mediterranean inspired dinner! You're going to love this one. Let's get to it.
Yields: 1 bowl
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
This recipe is dairy free, gluten free, vegetarian, and vegan.
1. 3 handfuls of kale
2. ½ delicata squash
3. 5 asparagus
4. ½ cup of cooked quinoa
5. ½ cup of baby Bella mushrooms
6. ¼ cup of crushed walnuts
7. Extra virgin olive oil
9. Sunflower seeds
10. Salt, black pepper, garlic powder, turmeric, red pepper
11. 1 lemon
1. First, cook your quinoa. As it’s boiling add in turmeric and some salt.
2. Second, add kale into a bowl and add in olive oil, ½ lemon, and salt and massage well.
3. Next, peel your delicata squash and chop it into thin rounds.
4. We are going to sauté the squash, asparagus, and mushrooms. I had two frying pans, one sautéing the mushrooms and asparagus together and another sautéing the squash. Have both on medium heat, and drizzle in olive oil into both pans.
5. Add your veggies into both pans: on the delicata squash, sprinkle on salt, black pepper, turmeric, and a dash of red pepper. Sauté until golden. For the asparagus and mushrooms sprinkle on salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Once the quinoa and veggies are done, add them to your bowl.
6. Add on the crushed walnuts and sunflower seeds.
7. Next, for the dressing add in 2 TBSPs of tahini and dilute it with 1 TSP of water and mix well. Add in ½ TBSP of olive oil, and ½ squeezed lemon. Add in salt and black pepper.
8. Mix well and drizzle onto the bowl.
9. Mix it all up and enjoy!