It's Cinco de Mayo so you know I had to pull out an authentic Mexican recipe! Now before I go ahead and provide you with the recipe, I want to give you all a rundown on what Cinco de Mayo is and why it's celebrated! Cinco de Mayo, which translates to the fifth of May, is a national Mexican holiday that celebrates the day the Mexican army beat the French in the Franco-Mexican war of May 5, 1862. This was a very symbolic victory for Mexico, hence why it has been commemorated as a national holiday. Now, why do we celebrate it in the US? Since the US's population has a large representation of Mexicans, Cinco de Mayo is a day where Mexican culture is celebrated. It's been confused to be Mexico's independence day, but it's just a day to remember an important date in history for Mexico and to show your support for Mexican population in the US.
So in honor of Cinco de Mayo I made a Mexican Inspired Breakfast thanks to my good friend Sarah, or @growingupsarita on Instagram, who sent me the inspiration. She is a Mexican foodie and if there's going to be anyone I trust with Mexican recipes it's her! Make sure to check her page out.
This Mexican inspired breakfast was SO good and so easy to make. It requires tortillas, black beans, salsa, eggs, cotija cheese, and avocado. Make this for your partner one morning or make multiple for your whole family to enjoy. Anyone and everyone will love it! Let's get to the recipe!
3. Cotija cheese (my DF friends please opt out of the cheese, you don't have to use it)
4. Salsa of your choice (I used Xochitl salsa)
5. Black beans (canned, drained, washed)
6. Extra virgin olive oil
7. Avocado oil spray
8. Salt and black pepper
9. ½ avocado sliced
10. Fresh cilantro to garnish
1. First, grab your can of black beans and have those prepped. Drained and washed.
2. In a medium sized frying pan, add in 1 TBSP of olive oil and once it simmers, add in the black beans. You want to sauté them until you seem them open up. Add them into a Tupperware for later use.
3. In that same frying pan, add another TBSP of olive oil and fry two eggs. Cover and cook to your liking. Season with salt and black pepper.
4. Once those are done, place them onto a plate for later use.
5. Now, have your frying pan cleaned up to use one more time. Spray in avocado oil and toast two tortillas. Make sure to flip and evenly toast. Add on 2 TBSPs of salsa and spread on evenly on both tortillas.
6. Add the tortillas onto a plate, now it's time to layer: Add your desired amount of black beans and save the rest for later. Add your two eggs. Sprinkle on your desired amount of cotija, and garnish with cilantro. Add your sliced avocado as well.