Pasta e Fagioli
Updated: Feb 22, 2021
This is a childhood favorite of mine and it was time I recreated it! I highly recommend it for those cold fall/winter days. It's also packed full of protein too, you can't go wrong. Lets get to the recipe, shall we?
Yields: 4-6 people
Prep time: 25 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
This recipe is dairy free, gluten free, vegetarian, and vegan.
1. 5 plum tomatoes
2. 1 box of shell pasta (I used @eatbanza as a gluten free option)
3. 2 cans of cannelloni beans
4. 2 cloves of garlic
5. Salt, black pepper, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, basil
6. Extra virgin olive oil
7. Optional garnish of parsley
Replacement suggestion: Feel free to use fresh beans and boil them for an hour or so. I used canned beans because I was in a rush.
1. First, grab a bowl and empty out the beans. Add water and a bit of salt. Let them soak.
2. Second, grab your tomatoes and chop them finely.
3. Now, in a large saucepan, add olive oil and 2 minced garlic cloves. Once you can smell the garlic, add your 5 chopped tomatoes.
4. Add on salt, black pepper, and a dash of red pepper flakes. Let it simmer on medium-low heat and cover it for 10 minutes.
5. Do a taste test for salt or pepper, turn off heat and set to the side.
6. At the same time your sauce is cooking boil your pasta.
7. Once it’s done strain your pasta into a colander but keep the pasta water.
8. Now, in a large pot, add 2 TBSPs of olive oil.
9. Make sure your beans have been thoroughly cleaned by now. Add them into the pot.
10. Add the sauce you just made as well. Now add the pasta. Stir well. Add all of the pasta water.
11. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes and add salt, black pepper, garlic powder, oregano, basil, and a dash of red pepper flakes. Once the 5 minutes are up do a taste test for salt or black pepper.
12. Turn off the heat, garnish with chopped parsley, and enjoy!