Spring is right around the corner, which means summer is right around the corner and I don't know about YOU, but there is no better wrap than a chicken salad wrap. This is my Pesto Mayo Chicken Salad Wrap. I used Primal Kitchen's Pesto Mayo over a regular mayonnaise for more nutrients and flavor! But, if you want to make this with regular mayo please feel free.
This wrap was so fresh, so light, and so nutritious. In a bowl of shredded chicken I added in walnuts, cilantro, green onion, grapes, and celery. It was the perfect balance of crunchy and tangy. I added in avocado and arugula into the wrap for more healthy fats to promote satiety and greens to promote digestion.
This is the perfect wrap to bring with you to school, work, the beach, the pool, wherever you go! It takes less than 15 minutes to make after you prepare the shredded chicken. You can either use rotisserie chicken from the store or boil chicken breast and hand shred it. I love prepping boiled chicken breast that way I can have shredded chicken on hand for several days! It takes roughly 1 hour to cook, but then shredded it takes only 5 minutes. It's worth the wait. But whether it be rotisserie chicken or at-home boiled chicken, both will work for this recipe! So, let's get to it.
Yields: 2 (the amount in the recipe is enough for 2 people but I said 1 tortilla wrap so you can eat one and have leftovers to make a second)
Cook time: 50 minutes (if you get rotisserie chicken from the store this cook time is not applicable)
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
This recipe is dairy free.
1.1 large tortilla wrap
2. 2 chicken breasts, boiled
3. 5 TBSPs pesto mayo (Primal Kitchen brand or other brand if you like)
4. 3 green onion finely diced
5. 3 celery finely diced
6. 12 grapes finely diced
7. ¼ cup walnuts crushed and chopped
8. ¼ cup fresh cilantro, finely diced
9. ½ avocado for garnish
10. Arugula for garnish
12. Lemon pepper
1.First, grab a large pot and fill it up with water. Place it onto the stove on medium heat and add in the two chicken breasts. Add in slices of 1 lemon and bay leaves. As they cook, make sure to remove the white grease that floats above the chicken. The chicken will need roughly an hour, they will be fully done once they are white on the inside and easily shreddable.
2. If you are eating the wrap the same day, prep the ingredients as the chicken cooks. If not, you can shred the chicken and place it into a Tupperware for the following day. Make sure to allow the chicken to cool in the Tupperware and then place it into the fridge for food safety purposes.
3. If you ARE enjoying the wrap the same day, prep the ingredients as the chicken cooks. Grab a large bowl and add in the green onion, celery, grapes, walnuts, and cilantro. Once the chicken is ready, shred, and add into the same bowl. Add in the pesto mayo. Please feel free to add more or less than 5 TBSPs depending on how creamy you want the salad to be.
4. Season with lemon pepper and salt to taste. Mix the salad up very well until it reaches a similar consistency.
5. Grab a tortilla wrap and add in a handful of arugula. Scoop in ½ the salad you created into the wrap. Top with chopped up avocado. Gently wrap.
6. If you would like the wrap to be warm, grab a small frying pan and spray on olive oil. Have the stove on high heat. Once the olive oil simmers, add in the wrap and toast on both sides. You want the wrap to be a light brown/golden color.
7. Grab a plate, slice the wrap in half, and enjoy!