Do you agree that there are salads that are more summer-y and salads that are more winter-y.? This salad gives me all the snowy day vibes because of the warm quinoa, chickpeas, and brussels sprouts.
My dietitian to be friend Sam and I created this lovely salad today and it might be on repeat for me for the weekend. It was so simple to make and the best part is that it's batch-able! You can prep more than one serving of the chickpeas, quinoa, beets, and brussels sprouts to create more meals with the next following days!
It's such a heart-warming bowl and takes less than 30 minutes to make. Stop buying boring & expensive Sweetgreen bowls, and start cooking at the comfort of your own home instead. All you're going to need is kale, chickpeas, beets, walnuts, quinoa, and brussels sprouts. Feel free to add another protein source like chicken or cheese source like goat cheese, if you'd like. This recipe is meant to be good for anyone who is dairy free, gluten free, vegetarian, or vegan! Let's get to the recipe.
Prep time:15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
This recipe is dairy free, gluten free, vegetarian, and vegan.
1. Shredded kale
2. 1 can of chickpeas, drained & rinsed
3. 2 beets, chopped medium (feel free to use precooked/packaged beets to save time)
4. 5-7 brussels sprouts, chopped in halves
5. 1 cup of quinoa
6. Walnuts, crushed
7. Hemp seeds
8. Extra virgin olive oil
9. Dijon mustard
10. White wine vinegar
11. 1 lemon
13. Garlic powder, black pepper, paprika
1. First, preheat your oven to 375.
2. Grab a baking sheet and add in your washed chickpeas and your prepped brussels sprouts. Drizzle on olive oil and season with salt, black pepper, and garlic powder to your liking. Season the chickpeas with paprika. Mix the brussels sprouts well and make sure they're coated well. Do the same with the chickpeas. Bake in the oven until the brussels sprouts are fully cooked (until you can pierce a fork through them completely).
3. While you're waiting for the brussels sprouts and chickpeas, prep your quinoa. In a small pot add in 2 cups of water for 1 cup of quinoa. Place it onto the stove on medium heat. Salt and allow the quinoa to fully absorb the water. This will need 10-15 minutes.
4. Now, prepare your beets.
5. The brussels sprouts and chickpeas should be done now.
6. Let's put it all together: grab a serving bowl and add in 2 handfuls of shredded kale. Pour on 1 TBSP of olive oil, juice of ½ lemon, and salt. Massage with your hands until you can't hear the crunch of the kale. Add on the quinoa, the beets, the brussels sprouts, and chickpeas.
7. In a small bowl: pour in 2 TBSPs of olive oil, 1.5 TSPs white wine vinegar, 1 TSP dijon mustard, and squeeze of lemon. Mix well, you want it to be a creamy dressing. Add salt and black pepper to taste and mix again. Add more olive oil or vinegar if you'd like. Pour it onto the salad.