In the Dieb household we don’t have store bought hummus, we make everything from scratch! I was bored of the classic hummus so I made this delicious, roasted red pepper hummus. There are so many foods you can incorporate into hummus, and roasted red pepper is only one of them. Give this one a try and see if you enjoy an extra bit of flavor in your hummus! Let's get to it.
Yields: 2-6 people (up to you)
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
This recipe is dairy free, gluten free, vegetarian, and vegan.
1. 1 can of chickpeas (I soaked 2 cups of fresh chickpeas overnight so you can do either)
2. 1 red bell pepper
4. ½ lemon
5. Extra virgin olive oil
6. Salt and black pepper
7. 2 cloves of garlic
1. First, preheat the oven to 375.
2. Grab a red bell pepper, cut the top off, and empty the seeds out.
3. Put it on a baking pan and drizzle on olive oil and sprinkle on salt and black pepper. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
4. Now once that’s done we can make the hummus. Take it out of the oven gently, it's going to be very hot. Slice into smaller strips so it can blend easier.
5. In a blender add the chickpeas. (If you are using canned chickpeas, keep the aquafoba on the side).
6. Add the roasted red pepper. Blend.
7. Now add the garlic cloves, 1 TBSP of olive oil, 2 TBSP of tahini, and 1/2 squeezed lemon. Blend well.
8. It’s going to need water. Add a splash of the aquafoba or just regular water. Blend again. 9. Add 1 ½ TSP of salt and a dash of black pepper. Blend. Do a taste test. It may need more salt. Feel free to add some.
10. Blend until you have a creamy consistency and the flavor you like.
Enjoy with pita bread, on top of a salad as a dressing, with celery, or with pretzels!