Salatat Batanjan aka Eggplant Salad
Updated: Feb 22, 2021
There are plenty of Syrian dishes that aren’t as well known as hummus, falafel, or tabbuleh that deserve the same recognition and this is one of them. Salalat Batanjan aka Eggplant Salad is a delicious appetizer and can be made into a healthy, vegan lunch! Some eat it with a fork and others use pita bread, you can do whatever your heart desires. Also, feel free to add a source of protein like chickpeas or lentils. Let’s get to it.
Yields: 1 salad
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
This recipe is dairy free, gluten free, vegetarian, and vegan.
1. 1 eggplant
2. 1 scallion
3. ¼ cup of parsley
4. 1 tomato
5. ¼ cup of pomegranates
6. 1 clove of minced garlic
7. ½ squeezed lemon
8. 1 TBSP of extra virgin olive oil
10. Pomegranate molasses
Replacement suggestion: Feel free to leave the garlic out if you have a sensitivity.
1. First, preheat your oven to 400.
2. Grab an eggplant and wash well.
3. Place it on one of your baking oven racks and place a pan underneath it. If any of the liquid falls it will fall into the pan.
4. As you’re waiting, finely dice the tomato, scallion, parsley (feel free to add as much or as little as you want).
5. Once the eggplant is done after 30-35 minutes, gently peel off the skin. Chop up the inner part of the eggplant into smaller pieces and add into a salad bowl. Drizzle on ½ lemon, olive oil, sprinkle on salt, black pepper, and add the minced garlic. Mix well.
6. Add the tomato, scallion, garlic, parsley, and pomegranate seeds.
7. Drizzle on lemon, olive oil, and sprinkle on salt for taste.
8. Lastly, in a small bowl, add ½ TBSP of pomegranate molasses and dilute it with a splash of water. Mix well then pour it onto the salad.
9. Mix the salad well and enjoy!