I think fall time is about enjoying hearty meals with the people you love. This Savory Breakfast Bowl with a Spicy Tahini Sauce is going to be the brunch you make for your parents, neighbors, your local Trader Joe's cashier, significant other, whoever you love.
This bowl has a base of yellow potatoes and it's served with baby bella mushrooms, avocado, eggs, spicy micro-greens, and a harissa tahini sauce.
It's a great way to start your day and extremely satiating. The healthy sources of carbs, fats, and protein will fill your body with the nutrients it needs to have a productive day.
I chose two new ingredients that I usually don't incorporate and that's mushrooms and micro-greens. Mushrooms are a great source of B vitamins, specifically folate, which your body needs to make DNA and red blood cells! Micro-greens are a great source of antioxidants/ polyphenols and magnesium. Polyphenols protect your body against oxidative stress aka aging from within. So, you can call this a savory yet anti-aging bowl (just kidding).
When I create a meal, I am thinking of two things: am I incorporating a somewhat balance of macronutrients and is this meal filled with micronutrients that will promote healthy bodily functioning? This is how I want you to start thinking too and you will see how your body will thank you.
Let's get to the recipe!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
This recipe is dairy free, gluten free, and vegetarian. It can be easily made vegan by substituting the eggs out.
1. 5 baby bella mushrooms, whole
2. 1 yellow potato, or 2 mini ones, chopped medium
3. ½ avocado, sliced thinly
4. 2 eggs
5. Spicy micro-greens (bought them from Whole Foods)
6. 2 TBSPs tahini
7. 1 TBSP harissa
9. Extra virgin olive oil
10. Garlic powder, black pepper, cumin, paprika
1. First, prepare the potatoes and make sure they are washed.
2. Grab a medium sized frying pan and pour in 2 TBSPs of olive oil. Have the heat on medium.
3. Once the olive oil simmers, add in the potatoes. Season with ½ TSP of salt, ¼ TSP of garlic power, ½ paprika, ¼ cumin. Stir and cover the potatoes to fully sauté until soft.
4. Once they are done, add them into your desired serving bowl.
5. Now, in that same frying pan pour in 1 TBSP of olive oil and sauté the mushrooms on medium heat as well. Cover the pan and cook for 5 minutes - no seasoning needed. Place them into the serving bowl.
6. Add the sliced avocado and micro-greens into the bowl.
7. Now, grab a small frying pan and drizzle in 1 TBSP of olive oil on medium heat. Once the olive oil simmers, crack in two eggs separate from each other.
8. Salt and cover the pan. Allow the eggs to cook to your liking - you could say these are medium well. Once they are done, add them to the serving bowl.
9. Now time for the sauce: in a small bowl add in the tahini and dilute it with a splash of water. Mix. Add the harissa in. Mix again and add a dash of salt.
10. Pour it onto the bowl and add salt and black pepper to taste.