I present to you a delicious, vegetarian sandwich you can make yourself with 6 ingredients only, in under 10 minutes, "Seared Halloumi Cheese Sandwich." If you've never heard of halloumi, it is a semi-hard, unripened cheese made from a mixture of goat's and sheep's milk. It's great to sear or grill and add onto sandwiches or salads. Did I mention each 1 inch cube is 6 grams of protein? You can't go wrong with this sandwich. You get your veggie source from the arugula and fire roasted peppers, your carbs from the baguette, your protein from the halloumi, and your healthy fats from your avocado. So, if this sounds like a recipe you'd try, let's get to the full details!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 8-10 minutes
This recipe is vegetarian.
1. Halloumi cheese (I used Aphrodite Halloumi from Whole Foods)
2. Baguette of choice (I used an olive baguette) --> If you don't have a baguette, use bread that you have
4. Fire roasted peppers
5. ½ avocado
6. ½ lemon
7. Salt, lemon pepper
1. First, toast your bread of choice.
2. While you wait for your bread to toast, slice your halloumi cheese into thinner strips. 3-4 pieces are great.
3. Grab a frying pan and add the halloumi slices onto the pan. Cook for 1-2 minutes on medium-high heat until golden brown. Then flip and cook the other side for 1-2 more minutes.
4. For the toppings: Grab your fire roasted peppers and slice them into thinner pieces. Mash ½ avocado into a bowl with juice of ½ lemon, and season with salt and lemon pepper.
4. Let's put the sandwich all together: add the mashed avocado onto the bread. Add the arugula. Add the halloumi cheese. Add the fire roasted peppers. Top with the other piece of bread.