One of my favorite pastimes is cooking for people I love. I think the best way to spend a weekend morning is making a delicious, well-plated, balanced breakfast.
Yesterday I made shakshuka, arugula salad, and garlic toast for breakfast and it hit every right spot. This IS the best breakfast you're going to make for yourself and a loved one this weekend or the next.
If you don't want to waste money out on breakfast and spend more time at home, grab your eggs and let's start cooking.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
This recipe is dairy free and vegetarian.
1. 4 eggs
2. 2-3 medium sized tomatoes or ½ can of whole San Marzano tomatoes
3. 2 TBSPs extra virgin olive oil
4. ¼ cup of finely diced sweet onion
5. 3 cloves of garlic minced
7. Black pepper
8. 1 TBSP spicy harissa
1. 2 slices of sourdough bread
2. 1 garlic clove
1. 2 handfuls of arugula
2. Juice of 1 lemon
3. 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
5. Black pepper
1. First, grab your tomatoes and wash them thoroughly. Next, chop them medium. (or use your San Marzano tomatoes).
2. Now in a medium sized frying pan, drizzle in the olive oil and in the garlic, and onion. Let them simmer.
3. Once you can smell the garlic, add in the tomatoes. Stir well and add in 1 TBSP of harissa. Stir well. Add ½ TSP of salt. Stir again then cover. Lower the heat and cook for 5-7 minutes.
4.. Now, drizzle in a bit of olive oil and cover again for another 2-3 minutes.
5. Now, make four wells in the tomatoes for your eggs. Crack one egg into each well. Cover the pan and cook until the eggs are done to your liking.
6. Finally, season with freshly ground black pepper.
7. During this whole time that you were waiting on the shakshuka to cook - you can toast your sourdough. Once they are fully toasted, rub a garlic clove onto each bread.
8. As for the arugula salad - in a large bowl add in the arugula, juice of 1 lemon, 2 TBSPs of olive oil, salt and black pepper to taste. Mix well.
9. Let's plate everything: on each plate, add 2 shakshuka eggs, 1 toast, and arugula salad.