Chicken Fajitas done my way and you're going to love them. I made these for Sunday Night Football as the stuffing for tacos and they were SO easy to make! Don't let the 30 minute prep time intimidate you. The red pepper paste, the fresh cilantro, bell peppers, sweet onion, and lime all make one delicious pan of Chicken Fajitas. Feel free to make this recipe alone as meal prep for the week, as a stuffing for taco night, or the main part of a taco bowl! It will be flavorful and enjoyable no matter when or how you eat them. If you're a fan of chicken fajitas like I am and need a quick dinner to make for you and your family, this is the go-to recipe for you. So, let me show you what you need and how to make this wonderful healthy dinner!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
This recipe is dairy free and gluten free.
1. 1 pound of chicken breasts
2. 1 yellow bell pepper, 1 red bell pepper, 1 orange bell pepper, 1 green bell pepper
3. ½ sweet onion or red onion if you'd like
4. 6 garlic cloves
5. 1 TBSP red pepper paste
6. 1-2 TBSPs tomato paste
7. Kosher salt
8. Paprika for color
9. Extra virgin olive oil
10. 1 lime
11. Fresh cilantro for garnish
1. First, grab your chicken breasts and if you'd like, brine them in water, ½ cup of vinegar, squeeze of lemon, and sea salt for 15 minutes.
2. Pat dry them and then with a knife, slice the breast in halves to thin them. Then slice the chicken into thinner strips vertically as shown above in the picture. Leave them in a bowl on the side.
3. Now, grab all of your bell peppers and onion. You are going to slice ½ of each bell pepper into very thin elongated strips. Now slice the onion into rings and chop those rings in halves. Leave these on the side. (Do not throw away the rest of the bell peppers, save them for another time!)
4. Grab a large frying pan, I suggest a 3inch deep one, and add in 2-3 TBSPs of olive oil. Add in 6 minced garlic cloves. Once you can smell the garlic, add in your onion and bell peppers.
5. Stir well on medium heat. Salt to your liking.
6. Now, add 1 TBSP of red pepper paste and 1-2 TBSPs of tomato paste. Stir well and pour in 1-2 cups of boiling water. Stir well.
7. Grab your chicken breast and add them to the pan. Stir well.
8. Season with paprika for color.
9. Cover the pan and cook for about 10 minutes. Continue to check on them. You want your chicken to be cooked evenly and make sure the insides are white in color.
10. Once you notice the water levels going down and the chicken is well-cooked, squeeze 1 lime into the pan and salt for taste.
11. Stir one more time and season with fresh finely chopped cilantro.
Serve alone or for taco night with black beans, lettuce, pico de gallo, warm soft tortillas, and guacamole.