Some nights we want to grab Chinese food but don't want to pay for it or drive to grab it, I get it. This is my Spicy Chicken & Veggie Stir Fry and it's a great alternative for Chinese take out stir fry. It's made with chili garlic sauce to add spice to the recipe and carrots, broccoli, green bell pepper, and peas for extra fiber. I made this recipe using brown rice to ensure we have a good source of fiber, but I also added veggies to amp up the satiety factor. Every bite is going to be a mix of spice, fiber, and protein (from the chicken).
I love this recipe because of how simple it is and how little work goes into making it, but I mostly love it because it tastes even better the next day. So, if you need a recipe to meal prep, this is the one. Let's get to the recipe!
Portion: 1 bowl
Prep time: 25 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
This recipe is dairy free. It can be made gluten free using tamari sauce instead of soy sauce.
3 tbsp sesame oil
2 chicken breast, finely chopped
2-3 tbsp chili garlic sauce
¼ cup soy sauce
1 carrot, finely diced
¼ cup finely diced green bell pepper
2 cups broccoli florets
1 bag of Trader Joe's frozen brown rice, cooked (or make your own - equates to roughly two cooked cups of brown rice)
½ cup frozen peas
Sesame seeds to garnish
1. Prep chicken and veggies: have the chicken prepped, carrots, bell pepper, broccoli, and brown rice prepped.
2. Cook chicken: pour in sesame oil in a frying pan on medium high heat. Once you can smell the sesame oil, add in the chicken.
Add the chili garlic sauce (more or less depending on how spicy you like your food) and the soy sauce.
Stir in sauces and allow the chicken to cook. Cover pan.
3 minutes in, add in the carrots and green bell pepper. Stir them in. Cover pan.
3. Broccoli & rice: Once the chicken starts to turn light brown, add in the broccoli and rice. Stir in. Allow the chicken to fully brown. Cover pan.
4. Peas: add the peas and stir them in. Allow the peas to fully cook. If the rice is too dry, add in more soy sauce. Allow the veggies & rice to soak in sauces.
5. Serve: serve stir fry and garnish with sesame seeds. Enjoy!