Summer is just around the corner and we are going to be too busy socializing with friends and family to be spending endless hours in the kitchen prepping food to eat. So, I present to you my delicious and always nutritious, "Spicy Dijon Chickpea Salad" that you can make in 10-15 minutes. All you need is chickpeas, avocado, jalapeño, cucumber, red bell pepper, pepper jack cheese, and dijon mustard. It has that perfect kick of flavor while still being the perfect summer salad. I can't say this is a perfectly balanced dish, so please pair another carb with this to be more of a filling meal! To those who would like more protein, a good baked/grilled chicken breast would be excellent on top as well. No matter how you enjoy this salad, you are going to LOVE it. Let's get to the recipe.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
This recipe is gluten free and vegetarian. It can be easily made vegan if you opt out of the cheese!
1. 2 cans of chickpeas (drained, washed)
2. 1/2 avocado finely diced
3. ½ jalapeño finely diced
4. 1 cucumber finely diced
5. ¼ red bell pepper finely diced
6. Your desired amount of pepper jack cheese (I used 3 TBSPs or so finely diced)
7. 2 TBSPs extra virgin olive oil
8. 1 TSP dijon mustard
9. ½ lemon
1. First, grab a serving bowl. Add in ¾ of the chickpeas you just drained and washed into the bowl. Save the rest for later.
2. Next, add in ingredients 2-6 into the same bowl.
3. Let's make the dressing: in a small bowl, add in the juice of ½ lemon, 2 TBSPS of olive oil, 1 TSP of dijon mustard, and salt to your liking. Stir well. Then pour onto the salad.