There is nothing more wholesome than tomato soup and a grilled cheese. Like do I even have to write an intro for this? This is my Spicy Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese, specifically dill havarti cheese. The kick of the tomato soup and the sweet and melted cheese make you feel a piece of heaven in each bite.
The tomato soup is no plain tomato soup, it has garlic, onion, fresh oregano, and peperoncini. It's the peperoncinis that give this soup that delicious kick of flavor.
You going to absolutely love it and it was so easy and mess free to make. Make this on a cold day for you and your family, or enjoy it by yourself while you're snuggled up in a blanket watching your favorite movie. So if I've influenced you enough, let's get to the recipe.
Yields: 1-4 (depends how much you're serving)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
This recipe is dairy free, gluten free, and vegan if you're only enjoying the soup. Otherwise, the grilled cheese has dairy and gluten.
1. 5 medium tomatoes
2. 1 head of garlic
3. 1 sweet onion, chopped large
4. 1 sprig fresh oregano
5. 2 peperoncini
6. 1 cups of veggie broth
7. 2-3cups of water
8. 5 TBSPS of extra virgin olive oil
10. Fresh basil to garnish
1. 2 pieces of sourdough bread
2. Havarti cheese (if you can find a dill havarti cheese that's even better)
3. 1-2 TBSPs of unsalted butter
1. First, grab a large pot. Drizzle in 4 TBSPS of olive oil on medium-high heat.
2. Once the olive oil simmers, add in your 5 tomatoes and head of garlic with the top chopped off.
3. Add 1 TSP of salt in as well. Cover the pot and allow the garlic and tomato to roast for up to 20-25 minutes. Don't allow them to burn but allow them to brown. Once they are done roasting, you should be able to gently squeeze the garlic cloves out of the head into the pot. Toss out the skin.
4. Have 2 cups of boiled water on the side and your broth ready to go. Pour in the water and broth into the pot.
5. Add in the chopped onion, fresh sprig of oregano, & peperoncini. Stir well.
6. Cover and allow the tomatoes and onion to cook very well. You want them soft enough to be able to blend them after.
7. Once they are all soft enough, which should be after 25-30 minutes, blend them with a hand mixer.
8. The soup should be a thick consistency now. Taste test for salt and add to your liking. You can also add freshly ground black pepper.
9. Let the soup cook for 10 more minutes or so.
10. During this time, you can make your grilled cheese sandwich.
11. Grab two slices of sourdough bread, and have butter melted. Spread on butter onto both pieces of sourdough. On one piece of sourdough, layer the sliced Havarti. Add as much cheese as you want.
12. In a small frying pan, spray down some olive oil , and gently add in the sandwich. Toast properly on both sides until the cheese has fully melted.
13. Now, you have your tomato soup and grilled cheese.
14. Feel free to top the soup with fresh basil. Enjoy!