Every region of the world has its' unique flavor and I think the Levant's (Syria, Lebanon, Palestine, Jordan) is sumac. Sumac is a spice that has a tangy, yet citrusy flavor to it. It's usually added to fattoush and other popular Middle Eastern dishes.
Today, I've added sumac to a classic fall recipe to make these delicious Sumac Garlic Hasselback Potatoes. These were a DREAM and I couldn't emphasize more how easy it was to make them. Once you finish making them you'll stare at them in awe because of how flavorful and crispy they are.
All you're going to need is baby gold potatoes, salt, sumac, garlic, arugula, and parsley! These are a perfect side carb source next to a lean protein like steak or chicken and some roasted vegetables. For my vegetarians/vegans, feel free to pair these potatoes with a bean salad or roasted tofu and greens.
So start the fall season off on the right foot and make yourself these exquisite Sumac Garlic Hasselback Potatoes. Let's get to the recipe, shall we?
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
This recipe is dairy free, gluten free, vegetarian, and vegan.
1. 5 small baby gold potatoes
2. 6 TBSPs extra virgin olive oil
3. 1 TSP salt
4. ½ TSP sumac
5. 6 garlic cloves, minced
- garnish with ½ lemon and dash of salt
7. Fresh parsley, finely chopped to garnish
8. Optional addition: 1 TBSP melted butter into mixture
1. Preheat your oven to bake 400.
2. Wash your potatoes thoroughly and leave them on the side.
3. Grab a small bowl and stir together the olive oil, salt, sumac, and garlic.
4. Now, grab your potatoes. Place a potato between the handles of 2 wooden spoons or 2 chopsticks. Slice the potato into thin slices, leaving a bit of space at the bottom unsliced. You don't want to slice all the way through the potato. Repeat with the rest of the potatoes.
5. Put the potatoes on a baking sheet and brush on the mixture you made. Make sure you evenly coat the potatoes and get the mixture into the crevices.
6. Bake until crispy. It depends on your oven but it may take up to 50 minutes.
7. Gently take them out and allow them to cool for 5 minutes.
8. Add them onto your plate of arugula. Garnish with fresh parsley and salt.