I've made countless avocado toasts these past four years as the Average Arab Girl, but it's time I perfected the art of making an avocado toast. I don't want to toot my own horn... but this is the most delectable avocado toast I've ever eaten and I cannot WAIT for you to try it out yourselves.
This is not only a perfect avocado toast, but a perfectly balanced breakfast as well. You have your carb source from the sourdough, your protein from the two eggs, and your healthy fats from the avocado. I also added green onion and parsley for fresh herbs. I know herbs aren't the first thing you'll grab at a supermarket but they should be! It's almost effortless to add them onto dishes for extra flavor and health benefits. Parsley has antimicrobial properties and is able to fight off bacteria like staphylococcus aureus (known to play a role in poor digestion) and green onion has antioxidants like quercetin, which helps the body from aging and protects our tissues. Who would have thought these small herbs could have such an impact!
Let me stop talking about health because I could go on forever - here is my Perfect Avocado Toast for YOU.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
This recipe is dairy free and vegetarian.
1. 1 slice of sourdough
2. 2 eggs
3. ½ avocado thinly sliced
5. 1 clove garlic
6. Extra virgin olive oil
8. Lemon pepper
9. 1 scallion/green onion, finely diced to garnish
10. Fresh parsley, finely diced to garnish
1. First, toast the slice of sourdough.
2. While you're waiting, crack two eggs into a bowl and season with salt. Whisk with a fork or whisk.
3. Grab a strainer and another bowl and pour in the two eggs into the strainer. Make sure to have the strainer over the new bowl. Use a fork to get the remaining whisked eggs out from the strainer.
4. Grab a medium sized frying pan and pour in 1 TBSP of olive oil. Have it on very low heat. Pour in the eggs.
5. As the eggs start to set, gently scramble using a rubber spatula. Keep scrambling until they are to your liking, I personally don't like watery scrambled eggs even though chef Thomas Keller does. So I cook mine until well done.
6. Set the eggs aside.
7. Have your avocado, green onion, and parsley ready.
8. Let's put it all together: grab your toast and rub one clove of garlic on it. Set it down and layer on arugula. Next, layer on the scrambled eggs. Then, gently place the sliced avocado on top. Garnish with parsley, green onion, salt, olive oil, and lemon pepper.