Turmeric, Lemon, Ginger Wellness Shots
Updated: Feb 22, 2021
You've entered the health nut world, where turmeric, lemon, and ginger are key ingredients to a healthy life! Turmeric is an Indian spice used as a medicinal herb; it's anti-inflammatory and a wonderful antioxidant with health benefits like improving depression and arthritis. Lemons may be bitter but they are nature's source of vitamin C. They help aid in digestion and reduce your risk of anemia, heart disease, and digestive issues. Ginger is the world's healthiest spice and can be incorporated into recipes easily. As Healthline puts it, "It's one of the very few superfoods actually worthy of that term." It's extremely medicinal and can help reduce the symptoms of the flu since it has high antioxidant compounds. The list goes on! But all in all, you can see why taking this wellness shot will change your life for the better!
Every morning before you eat breakfast take a 1.5 oz shot. Sprinkle on a dash of black pepper to activate the turmeric. Why do we have to "activate" the turmeric?: the active ingredient in turmeric called curcumin is not easily absorbed by our bodies. The active ingredient in black pepper called piperine helps turmeric be absorbed in the body and boosts the benefits of curcumin by 2000% when blended together!
Some choose to juice these ingredients but I find boiling them much more useful because you’ll reap the benefits of the ingredients more than when you juice them.
Disclaimer: this is not a weight loss shot. There is no such thing! These key ingredients are proven to help inflammation & digestion, and help avoid infections. Always have the right mindset when doing anything health related —> it’s not for weight loss, it’s for your own physical well being. So, let's get to it!
Yields: Enough for 2-3 weeks of shots
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 2 hours (depends on your stove, it can boil quickly or take more time)
This recipe is dairy free, gluten free, vegetarian, and vegan.
1. 9 pieces of fresh turmeric
2. 1 palm sized piece of fresh ginger
3. 1 lemon
4. Black pepper
1. First, wash 9 pieces of fresh turmeric, 1 palm sized fresh ginger, & 1 lemon thoroughly.
2. Proceed to cut these ingredients into medium sized pieces - lemon can be cut into circular slices.
3. Fill a medium-large sized pot ¾ of the way with cold water and put the ingredients in.
4. Turn the heat to medium-high and let it boil until the water has turned yellow-orange.
5. Pour that water into a jug of your choice, and the repeat step 3. Pour the water into the pot and let it boil again.
6. Once the water is yellow-orange pour that water into the jug again.
7. You CAN repeat 1 more time if you’d like!