Vegan Seitan Chorizo Bowl
Updated: Aug 4, 2021
Fun fact: I grew up never eating any pork. I didn't even know what chorizo was until 3 years ago when I had vegan chorizo at a restaurant called byChloe in NYC. So, it inspired me to try to make it at home. I grabbed some vegan seitan chorizo from Whole Foods and got to work last night! This bowl IS and WILL be the dinner of your dreams. It will make Chipotle get a little nervous. If you need an easy, go-to dinner after a long day of work or a great workout, I highly recommend trying this flavorful bowl. It has the protein, carbs, veggies, and healthy fats your body needs. So, let's get to it.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
This recipe is dairy free, vegetarian, and vegan.
1. Upton's Natural Chorizo Seitan (½ the box)
2. Black beans (cooked and drained)
3. 1 cup of brown rice
4. 1 head of lettuce
5. ½ green bell pepper
6. ½ avocado
7. On the border salsa (feel free to make your own salsa, this is just quicker for me)
8. 1 TBSP of finely diced jalapeño
9. 1 lime
10. Kosher salt
11. Lemon pepper seasoning
12. Extra virgin olive oil
13. Fresh cilantro for garnish
1. First, grab a serving bowl and add finely chopped lettuce.
2. Next, grab a small frying pan and a small pot. In the small pot, add 1-2 TBSPs of olive oil, and once it simmers, add 1 cup of brown rice.
3. Add 2 ½ cups of boiling water to the pot, salt well, and cover. Allow the rice to cook until it has soaked up the water and is well cooked. You may need to add a bit water at the end if the rice doesn't cook all the way through.
4. While the rice is cooking, chop up ½ green bell pepper and add it to the bowl.
5. Now in the frying pan, add 1 TBSP of olive oil and once it simmers, add ½ can of black beans. Sauté them for about 5 minutes. Add your desired amount to the bowl and save the rest for another day.
6. In that same frying pan, drizzle in 1 TBSP of olive oil and once it simmers, add ½ box of chorizo. Sauté for 5 minutes or so, or until it is well-cooked. Add to the bowl.
7. Add 2 TBSPs or so of salsa to the bowl.
8. Now, add your desired amount of brown rice, I added ¼ cup and saved the rest. (I make more than I have to so I could make this dinner again the next day!)
9. Add ½ sliced avocado and a 1 TBSP of finely diced jalapeño to the bowl.
10. Drizzle on the juice of 1 lime, garnish with fresh cilantro, and season with lemon pepper.