Venezuelan Black Beans, Beef Stew & Rice
Updated: Feb 22, 2021
Now what is a Venezuelan dish doing on the Average Arab Girl's page? Fun fact, my grandparents lived in Venezuela for 32 years and my mom was born there and lived there for the first 5 years of her life, so a lot of our cooking has been influenced by Venezuelan foods. My absolute favorite food my mom makes that is Venezuelan are arepas, and then this Black Beans, Beef Stew, and Rice dish is my second favorite. I've learned to perfect this dish overtime and it may sound like a lot of work, but it's just because the black beans and beef have to cook for awhile. So do not be overwhelmed by the long recipe! You GOT this. Let me show you how to make it.
Yields: 4 people
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
This recipe is dairy free and gluten free.
1. 2 cups of fresh black beans
2. 1 cup of basmati rice
3. 2 cups of beef chunks
4. 3 TBSPs of salt
5. 4 garlic cloves
6. ½ green bell pepper
7. 1 small white onion
1. If you have a pressure cooker this recipe will come out perfect for you.
2. First, wash 2 cups of fresh black beans and rinse off 1 cup of basmati rice and leave those to the side.
3. Then, you’ll need 2 cups of beef chunks.
4. Next, place the beans and beef chunks in the pressure cooker and fill it up ½-⅔ of the way with hot water. Add 3-4 spoon fulls of salt.
5. Seal the pressure cooker and let the beans cook for 1 hour.
6. Meanwhile, finely dice 4 garlic cloves, ½ green bell pepper, and 1 small white onion. Leave these to the side.
7. Once there are 20 minutes left for the beans to finish, cook the rice in a separate pot.
8. Once the beans are done, set the pressure cooker aside until the steam is gone and you can open the lid.
9. Open and stir to make sure the beef stew has turned into shreds - just mash them up a bit while stirring.
10. Now, put the pot back on the stove on medium heat without the lid. Let it simmer a bit more.
11. Now, you need to shallow fry the bell pepper, garlic, and onions. Add olive oil to a small pan and add the ingredients. Let them fry until crispy.
12. Add them into the pot and stir. Cook for another 5 minutes and turn off the heat. Now, you have black beans and beef stew with a side of basmati rice!