You have no idea how many people have asked me how to make rice! It's a kitchen staple in many cultures and I am here to teach YOU how to make the perfect, fluffiest rice.
The three main tips I can provide you to make the fluffiest rice is:
1. The ratio of water to rice must be perfect
2. The rice must sit after it is cooked
3. Never stir the rice while it's absorbing water
The process is so simple yet there is so much confusion around it, so I am here to help. After you master this basic cooking skill, you are going to be able to make so many new dishes!
Let me explain more in the recipe below, so let's get to it!
Yields: 1-4 people (or perfect amount to meal prep for 5 days)
Prep time: 20 minutes to soak the rice
Total time: 35 minutes to cook the rice
This recipe is dairy free, gluten free, vegetarian, and vegan.
1. 1 cup of basmati rice
2. Boiling water (when you pour water into a pot, it should always be boiling)
3. Salt to taste
4. 3 TBSPs extra virgin olive oil
1. First, grab a small bowl and add in 1 cup of basmati rice. Pour in water and allow the rice to soak for up to 20 minutes. You are going to notice the water become very cloudy. This is the starch from the rice, which will allow you to easily digest the rice later.
2. Drain the water, rinse the rice once more, drain again, and have it on the side to cook.
3. Grab a small pot, place it onto the stovetop on medium high heat, and pour in 3 TBSPs of olive oil.
4. Once the olive oil simmers, add in the rice and stir.
5. Pour in the water. The trick is to have the water be 1 inch above the rice. It will be about 2 cups of water, but pay attention to the water levels the most.
6. Add 1 TSP of salt for now, stir, and cover. Turn the heat down to medium low.
7. Avoid stirring to allow the rice to settle and absorb the water well.
8. You can peak at the rice to see if it's absorbing the water well and becoming fluffy. All of the water should be absorbed around 15 minutes in. Add salt if you'd like (just taste a grain of rice)
9. Once the rice is done, turn the heat off and remove it off that stove top. Allow the rice to settle to finish absorbing any of the excess liquid.
10. Remove the cover and fluff the rice with a fork. Check to see if there is any extra liquid, and allow it to sit for another 5 minutes.