Beluga Lentil Salad with Mixed Herb Dressing
Someone please make this today. Just one of you. Because it's seriously the best salad I've ever made and I don't know where to go from here. I'm dramatic I know, but if you love lentils, this is going to be a salad on repeat for you this spring and summer. It's my Beluga Lentil Salad with Mixed Herb Dressing.
It has cucumber, red bell pepper, celery, and carrots with a dressing that contains fresh cilantro and fresh oregano. Let me tell you, this mixed herb dressing is about to change the salad game for you. It elevates this lentil salad and makes eating your vegetables so enjoyable.
I love lentils because they are a great source of plant-based iron, so hi @ my anemic friends, this salad is for YOU. But it can be enjoyed by anyone since it is dairy free, gluten free, vegetarian, and vegan! Meal prep and/or batch this recipe for a whole week's worth of lunch. None of the ingredients will become soggy and allowing the dressing to marinate for longer with the lentils will actually heighten the flavor profile of this salad so much more. Let me show you how to make it!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
This recipe is dairy free, gluten free, vegetarian, and vegan.
1.½ cup soaked and cooked beluga (black) lentils
2. 1 celery stalk, finely diced
3. 2 carrots, finely diced
4. 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
5. ¼ English cucumber or 1 Persian cucumber, finely diced
1.¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
2. Juice of ½ lemon
3. 1 TSP white wine vinegar
4. 1 clove garlic, grated
5. Salt and lemon pepper to taste
6. Fresh oregano, 1 TBSP finely chopped
7. 8 stalks fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1.First, rinse and soak your lentils in cold water for 10 minutes (even if the bag says not to, they can be dirty so it's better to make sure they are clean. This will also reduce the cooking time).
2. Then, grab a small pot of water and place it onto the stove on medium high heat. Add in the lentils and bring the water to a boil. Cover tightly, reduce the heat, and simmer until the lentils are tender but not mushy. Lentils may need up to 20 minutes.
3. While you wait, prepare the celery, carrots, red bell pepper, cucumber, fresh oregano, and fresh cilantro.
4. Add the celery, carrots, bell pepper, and cucumber into a serving bowl of choice. Once the lentils are done, drain them and allow them to cool in the fridge.
5. Prepare the dressing while you're waiting for the lentils to cool a bit. Add all the dressing ingredients into a dressing container or into a small bowl. Shake or whisk until you have a consistent dressing.
6. Take the lentils out of the fridge and add them to the serving bowl. Pour on the dressing. Mix very well.
7. For an amazing tasting salad, allow it to marinate in the fridge for as long as possible. But if you to just enjoy it on spot you can do that too! This is the kind of salad that would taste better over the next couple of days.