Chickpea Coconut Veggie Curry on a Bed of Quinoa
Updated: Feb 22, 2021
The day is finally here: I’ve been meaning to try to make my own version of coconut curry for months. For some reason curry intimidates me so I'm trying my best to incorporate it into my meals. I've always loved to eat coconut curry dishes out at restaurants but could never figure out how to do it myself. I gave it a go and let me tell you, it turned out VERY flavorful. If you're especially a vegan this is a great way to enjoy a plant-based coconut curry dish! So, if you're in the mood to try something new, keep reading this recipe! Let's get to it.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 35-40 minutes
This recipe is dairy free, gluten free, vegetarian, and vegan.
1. 1 cup of white quinoa
2. 1 zucchini
3. ½ red bell pepper
4. 2 carrots
5. ½ cup of chickpeas (you can use canned)
6. Extra virgin olive oil
7. 6-7oz unsweetened coconut milk
8. 2 TBSPS coconut cream
9. Turmeric, black pepper, onion powder, ginger powder, curry powder, red pepper flakes
11. Garnish with fresh cilantro
1. Boil 1 cup of white quinoa and add in salt and ½ TSP of turmeric.
2. Meanwhile, chop 1 zucchini into cubes, and finely dice ½ red bell pepper and 2 carrots.
3. Put the red bell pepper on the side and the zucchini and carrots into one bowl together.
4. Have ½ cup of chickpeas already cooked on the side.
5. Now in a medium-sized pot, add in 3 TBSPs of olive oil on medium-high heat.
6. After 1 minute add in the red bell peppers and simmer for 3 minutes.
7. Now add in the zucchini and carrots. Sprinkle on ½ TBSP of salt and cook for several minutes.
8. Now, add in 6-7oz unsweetened coconut milk and 2 TBSPs of coconut cream. Pour in boiled water into the pot until it fills pot half way (use an electric kettle to boil water).
9. Add in ½ TSP black pepper, 1/2 TSP onion powder, 1 TSP turmeric powder, ½ TSP of ginger powder, 1- 1 1/2 TSP of curry powder and stir well. Cover pot with lid and let it cook for 10 minutes.
11. Taste test for salt. Add if necessary. Stir again.
12. Once the veggies have cooked well add in the chickpeas. Cook for another 2-3 minutes. 13. Add in a dash of red pepper flakes.
14. Taste test for salt or any other seasoning you'd like. Add if necessary. Stir one last time.
15. Turn off the heat and serve over a bed of quinoa.
16. Garnish with fresh cilantro, and enjoy!