"Jasmin! Let's go out for lunch sometime!?" Me: "Want to come over instead and I can make you a delicious, summery salad instead?"
I made this Fresh & Summery Chicken Salad for myself yesterday and it was delectable. The lettuce, the cabbage, the bell peppers, the sun-dried tomatoes, the locally grown cucumber, and the shredded chicken mixed in with an herby dijon dressing was so refreshing to eat. It is such a nourishing salad to make yourself and it's perfectly meal-preppable. None of the ingredients would spoil the next day and you can leave the dressing on the side! So, if you needed some chicken salad inspo in your life, make this Fresh & Summery Chicken Salad for yourself! Let's get to it.
Prep time: 15 minutes (if you're short on time and don't want to boil a chicken breast, my recommendation is grabbing a rotisserie chicken at the market and using that instead)
Total time: 20 minutes
This recipe is dairy free and gluten free.
1. 1 chicken breast
2. 1 head of lettuce, medium chopped
3. 1/2 cup of cabbage, finely chopped
4. 2 mini bell peppers (I used red and yellow),
5. 8 pieces of sun-dried tomatoes
6.1 cucumber, finely diced
7. 1 carrot, finely diced
8. Hemp seeds to garnish
9. 4 TBSPS extra virgin olive oil
10. 1 TBSP dijon mustard
11. 1/ 2 lemon
13. Dried oregano & thyme
1. First, make sure you have one chicken breast cooked and shredded. If you want to boil your own chicken breast it is very simple --> grab a medium sized pot, fill it up with water ¾ of the way, and add in lemon slices and 2 bay leaves. Add in the chicken breast and cook until you can fully pierce it with a fork and it shreds easily. It may need 40 minutes.
2. Grab a serving bowl, add in ingredients 2-7. Then top with the chicken breast.
3. Let's make the dressing: grab a small bowl and pour in 4 TBSPS of olive oil and the juice of ½ lemon. Then in a separate bowl, add in the 1 TBSP of dijon and dilute it with a splash of water. Mix and then add it into the bowl with the olive oil and lemon. Add ¼ TSP of dried oregano and ¼ TSP of thyme. Salt to taste. Mix well and pour onto the salad.
4. Garnish with hemp seeds for extra omega 3 fats and protein.