If you weren't aware, before fava beans are brown they’re green! They are delicious and full of dietary fiber, magnesium, potassium, iron, and low in fat and cholesterol. To my vegetarians and vegans out here, you cannot go wrong with these beans since they are also a great source of protein. I get my green fava beans from Syria, but you can get them from a local Middle Eastern/Indian market or buy them frozen at Trader Joe's or Wegman's. Let's get to the recipe shall we?
Yields: 4-6 people
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 35-40 minutes
This recipe is dairy free, gluten free, vegetarian, and vegan.
1. Either 1 bag of frozen green fava beans or 4-5 cups of fresh green fava beans
2. 5 garlic cloves
3. Extra virgin olive oil
4. Kosher salt
5. ½ - ¾ bunch of fresh cilantro (to your preference)
1. First, mince 5 garlic cloves and the fresh cilantro. For this recipe, you simply can't have enough garlic and cilantro.
2. Second, grab a medium sized pot, and add in extra virgin olive oil. Add the minced garlic cloves and fresh cilantro in together. Stir well.
3. Add the fresh green fava beans and stir.
4. Add a TBSP of kosher salt. (less or more, to your liking)
5. Let the beans cook on medium heat until they are easy to chew but not soggy.