Puttanesca Pasta Salad
Okay but without the anchovies because NO. Spaghetti alla puttanesca is typically made with olives, tomatoes, capers, garlic, olive oil, and anchovies. But, your girl can't stand anchovies so I made a pasta salad with all the components of this spaghetti without the fish. This way it can also be a great vegetarian option as well.
This pasta salad was delectable and so easy to make. All you have to do is prep your elbow pasta of choice & prepare the tomatoes/olives/basil. It's mess-free and it's great to batch prep.
During the summer I think the best food we can make ourselves are pasta salads because you can easily meal prep them and they will last up to 4 days in the fridge without going bad. Pasta salads typically taste better the longer they sit in the fridge.
As for protein since there isn't much in the pasta salad - you can choose to use a chickpea-based pasta like Eat Banza or add sautéed shrimp/chicken to the side. It's always up to your preference.
For this salad you're going to need cherry tomatoes, basil, olives, capers, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt, and black pepper. So let's get right to it.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
This recipe is dairy free, vegetarian, and vegan.
1.1/2 box of elbow pasta
2. 1 ½ TBSP capers
3. ½ cup chopped cherry (or san Marzano) tomatoes
4. ½ cup Castelvetrano olives (these olives are perfect for this salad otherwise it would be an overly salty salad)
5. 8 basil leaves, chopped chiffonade
6. 3 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
7. 1 TBSP balsamic vinegar (dash more if you like more)
8. 1/2 TSP salt
9. Black pepper to taste
1.First cook your pasta of choice. Boil a pot of water on the stove on medium-high heat. Salt the water. Once it comes to a boil, add the pasta in and cook al dente.
2. Drain and rinse with cold water. Set on the side.
3. While you wait for the pasta to cook, prepare the tomatoes, basil, capers, and olives.
4. For the dressing: in a small bowl add in ingredients 6-9. My recommendation is always go for less then add more once you pour it onto the salad. This way if it needs more balsamic vinegar or salt, you can add! You can't subtract ina recipe.
5. Let's put it all together: grab a large serving bowl and add in the pasta, capers, tomatoes, olives, and basil. Pour on the dressing. Mix well.
6. Taste test for balsamic or salt. Add if necessary. Mix again.