Spicy Whole Grain Pasta with Mushrooms and Spinach
Updated: Feb 22, 2021
I believe pasta is the true meaning of life. You are going to see an array of different pasta recipes on my blog so if you're a pasta lover like I am, you are in the right spot, my friend. This is a delicious whole grain penne pasta recipe with some added veggies that add some extra flavor to the pasta. Let me show you how to make it!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
This recipe is dairy free, vegetarian, and vegan.
1. 1 cup of whole grain penne
2. 1/2 cup of white mushrooms
3. 2 cups of spinach
4. 1/4 cup of parsley
5. 2 plum tomatoes
6. 1 TBSP tomato paste
8. 3 cloves of garlic
9. Black pepper, garlic powder, red pepper
10. Extra virgin olive oil
1. Boil pasta of choice and salt the water before adding in the pasta. (elbows or penne work)
2. Finely dice 2 plum tomatoes and parsley, and leave to the side.
3. In a pan add olive oil and the 3 minced garlic cloves. Once you can smell the garlic add the diced plum tomatoes in.
4. Stir for 4 minutes on medium heat.
5. Add a TBSP of tomato paste, 1/2 cup of water, 1 TSP of salt, and stir.
6. Let the tomatoes simmer and then add the mushrooms.
7. Stir for 3 minutes and then once the pasta has boiled drain out the water, but keep some of the pasta water. Add the pasta to the pan and turn it to high heat.
8. Stir and season with a bit more salt, black pepper, a TSP of garlic powder, and a pinch of red pepper.
9. Stir and then add the spinach.
10. If the pasta looks slightly dry, add some of the pasta water.
11. Once you see everything has fully cooked turn off the heat and add into a bowl.
12. Garnish with chopped parsley,