Tomato Walnut Sauce on Spaghetti Squash
Updated: Feb 23, 2021
The recipe looks long but I promise it’s easy and worth the work! If you're a lover of pasta and can't have it because you're gluten free, this is such a delicious recipe to make for yourself. It also even lasts so well as a meal prep dinner recipe. But, if you're not gluten free and just a lover of pasta, I still highly recommend trying this out and being a bit more adventurous in the kitchen! So, let’s get to the recipe people.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
This recipe is dairy free, gluten free, vegetarian, and vegan.
1. 1 spaghetti squash
2. 2 cups of cherry tomatoes
3. ½ bag of spinach
4. 1 ½ cups of baby Bella mushrooms
5. 2 TBSPs of capers
6. ⅓ cup of kalamata olives
7. ¼ cup of sun-dried tomatoes
8. ¾ cup of crushed walnuts
9. 4 TBSPS of tomato paste
10. Extra virgin olive oil
12. Black pepper, red pepper, oregano, basil, garlic powder
13. Fresh basil (optional)
1. First, preheat your oven to 400.
2. Next, grab your spaghetti squash and with a fork make holes vertically all around the spaghetti squash so when you cut it it’s easier to chop up.
3. Put it in the microwave for 6 minutes.
4. Take it out, and GENTLY with a knife, cut around the holes you made so you can open up the squash.
5. You’ll now have two halves. With a fork, empty the halves out of their seeds.
6. Next, place them on a baking pan, and drizzle on olive oil on each.
7. Sprinkle on a decent amount of salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and oregano.
8. Use a brush to equally coat the squash.
9. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
1. Grab a 2-4 inch deep frying pan.
2. Heat 5 TBSPS of olive oil.
3. Add 2 cups of chopped in halves cherry tomatoes and simmer on medium-low heat.
4. Add 4 TBSPS of tomato paste and add ½-1 cup of boiling water.
5. Sprinkle on salt, black pepper, garlic powder, oregano, basil to your liking, and a dash of red pepper. Let it simmer for 5-7 minutes.
6. Now add capers, kalamata olives, and sun-dried tomatoes. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
7. Taste test to see if it needs any extra seasoning. Add if necessary.
8. Now, add crushed walnuts and let it simmer for another 3 minutes. Don’t forget to keep stirring in between. If the water gets low (too thick of a sauce), add more boiling water.
9. Now, add the mushrooms and spinach and stir.
10. Taste test and add what you think the sauce needs. Simmer on low and it should be done once the veggies are cooked well.
After 25 minutes take the spaghetti squash out and empty the middle out with a fork. These are your noodles! Place some of the sauce you made on top of the squash noodles and enjoy!