Updated: Feb 22, 2021
Are you a mozzarella lover or planning to have people over soon and don't know what to make? This caprese salad is what you need then. It it so simple to make yet looks so fancy and delightful! If you don't know what caprese is, it is an adjective that is "denoting a salad of fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil." It's a common dish in Italy, and a great for a small snack or as a starter before a big meal. So, let me show you how it's done.
Yields: 7-8 pieces
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
This recipe is gluten free and vegetarian.
1. 1 beefsteak tomato
2. 1 cup of fresh basil leaves
3. 1 pack of fresh mozzarella (16oz) - I use BelGioioso
4. Balsamic vinegar
5. Extra virgin olive oil
6. Fresh black pepper
7. Dried oregano (optional)
1. First, make sure to wash your tomato and basil leaves thoroughly.
2. Next, slice your tomato and mozzarella into thin circular slices (like a coin).
3. Now, we'll start to layer: on a plate place 1 slice of tomato, layer it with 1-2 basil leaves and one slice of mozzarella. Then, drizzle on ½ TSP of balsamic vinegar and less than ½ TSP of extra virgin olive oil. Finish it off with a sprinkle on a dash of black pepper and dried oregano.