Now that school is officially ending for me my time is freeing up to make more delicious lunch/dinner recipes. These are my Chicken Tacos with Jalapeño Avocado Crema. They are spicy, savory, creamy, crunchy, and GOOD. I can't pick one word to describe them, but I do know they are so nutritious.
You have your protein from the chicken and Greek yogurt in the crema. You have your healthy fats from the avocado. You have your carbs from the tacos and fiber from the bell pepper and onions. Most importantly, you have a great source of crunch from the lettuce. I always try to make well-known/loved dishes more nutrient-dense and this is how I did it with peoples' beloved tacos.
This recipe may take longer than usual but the steps are easy to follow. This would be a good recipe to make for your friends coming over or for your family on a nice spring or summer day. So, let's get to it!
Prep time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
1. 2 chicken breasts (bay leaves & lemon to boil)
2. 1 red bell pepper, finely sliced
3. ½ sweet onion, finely sliced
5. Black pepper
6. Chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper
7. Flour street tacos
8. Lettuce (I used BrightFarms Sunny Crunch)
9. Extra virgin olive oil
10. Slices of fresh lime to garnish
11. Fresh cilantro finely chopped to garnish
Jalapeño Avocado Crema
1. 1 avocado
2. 1 ½ TBSP Greek yogurt
3. 2 TBSP lime juice
4. 1 garlic clove
5. ½ jalapeño
6. 15 sprigs fresh cilantro
7. Salt & black pepper to taste
1. First, have your two chicken breasts defrosted and a large pot of water on the stovetop on medium-high heat.
2. Place the chicken breast in the large pot of water with slices of lemon and bay leaves. Allow the chicken to boil until they are white on the inside and easily shreddable. Make sure to remove any grease that floats to the top.
3. As you are waiting for the chicken, prepare the jalapeño avocado crema. Add all ingredients into a food processor (or blender if you don't have one). Puree. Set aside.
4. Prepare the bell peppers, onion, and fresh cilantro (to garnish later). Set aside.
5. Once the chicken is ready, remove them from the pot and place them into a medium bowl. Gently shred.
6. Now, grab a large frying pan and pour in 2 TBSPs of olive oil on medium-high heat. Add in the bell peppers and onion. Sauté. Once you can smell the onion add in the shredded chicken.
7. Now, don't hate me but this is where you are going to season to your liking because I always do from my heart. You are going to season the chicken and veggies with salt and black pepper to taste, then chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and paprika. If you like spicy food don't be shy with the cayenne, but if you are I recommend less than ¼ TSP. Sauté until the chicken has crisped up and the bell peppers are fully cooked.
8. Let's put it all together: grab a serving plate of choice. Warm the three street tacos on a frying pan and then place them onto the plate. Add in lettuce into each. Evenly distribute the chicken and veggie blend into each taco. Add a dollop of avocado crema onto each. Garnish with fresh cilantro and slices of fresh lime.