Before you say, "ew mushrooms", give this salty and savory toast a chance for lunch will you? The combination of the creamy and garlicky hummus and the savoriness of the baby shiitake mushrooms is to die for. So, give my Hummus Mushroom Toast a try for your next brunch or lunch.
You'll get some protein and healthy fats from the hummus, and fiber from the toast and mushrooms. It's a great recipe to pair with side of lean protein such as eggs, chicken sausage, chicken breast, or canned tuna fish.
You can choose to either make the hummus yourself by following along my "Authentic Hummus" recipe or use a store bought hummus. My go-to brand is Ithaca, especially the lemon garlic flavor. Either way, this is a very simple and quick recipe you can make in under 10 minutes. So grab a piece of sourdough, hummus, baby shiitake mushrooms, fresh parsley, and thyme. Let's get to the recipe!
Prep time: 5 minutes (unless you make the hummus - 15 minutes)
Total time: 10 minutes
This recipe is dairy free, vegetarian, and vegan.
1. 1 piece of sourdough
2. 10-12 Baby shiitake mushrooms, sliced in half
3. Hummus (homemade or store bought)
4. Dried thyme
6. Extra virgin olive oil
7. Fresh parsley to garnish, finely chopped
1. First, toast one piece of sourdough bread.
2. Have your mushrooms prepared and grab a small frying pan. Pour in 1 TBSP of olive oil on medium-high heat. Once it simmers add in the mushrooms.
3. Sauté them until golden brown. Season with salt to taste and ¼ TSP of dried thyme.
4. Let's put it all together: grab a serving plate and add the toast onto it. Spread on hummus to your liking, go light or go heavy it's up to you. Add on the sautéed mushrooms. Garnish with fresh parsley. Season with salt to taste.