Soffrito & Spicy Olive Oil Based Veggie Egg White Omelette
Updated: Feb 22, 2021
I made this omelette for my friends one weekend on a whim and they were obsessed with them. They told me to share it to my blog so here I am! If you're a fan of omelettes like I am and want to spice things up in the kitchen, then this omelette is for you! Let’s get to it.
Yields: 1 omelette
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
This recipe is dairy free, gluten free, and vegetarian.
1. Egg whites
2. Baby bella mushrooms
4. Roasted red tomatoes (I got these from the Wegman’s olive bar)
5. @traderjoes soffrito seasoning
6. Spicy olive oil
7. Salt, black pepper, garlic powder, red pepper flakes
Replacement suggestion: Feel free to use 3 eggs instead of egg whites. For the roasted red tomatoes you can grab 1 beefsteak tomato, cut an X slit at the top of it, drizzle olive and season with salt, and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Then you can take it out, chop it into strips and use it in your omelette. As for the spicy olive oil, I made this at home by simply marinating chili peppers and jalapeños in olive oil. I let it sit overnight and then use it as I please! You can use regular olive oil for the time being.
1. Grab a medium sized frying pan and drizzle in the spicy olive oil on medium-low heat. Once you can smell the oil heat up add in your tomatoes, mushrooms, and spinach. I suggest breaking up the mushrooms into smaller pieces.
2. Season with salt, black pepper, garlic powder, a 1/2 TSP of red pepper flakes, and 1 TSP of soffrito seasoning.
3. Sauté well for 2 minutes and then add in your egg whites (as much as you want- I cover the veggies over about an inch). Let it cook for 2-3 minutes and once it starts to crisp I suggest grabbing a spatula and tilting the eggs and the pan to make sure all the liquid from the egg whites cook evenly.
4. Once you think the egg whites are done (it should start to become lightly brown), fold in half with your spatula and enjoy!