Spicy Portuguese Potatoes
Updated: Feb 22, 2021
I got this inspo from @chefguerrierikitchen when we made a Portuguese potato and chicken dish on zoom together once during the summer. The way the potato tastes in this specific technique is to die for. I wanted to put a twist on it with different seasonings so let’s get to it! By the way, the recipe seems like a lot of steps but it’s truly so simple if you have all the right ingredients and patience.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
This recipe is dairy free, gluten free, vegetarian, and vegan.
1. A bag of baby potatoes
3. Extra virgin olive oil
4. Adobo seasoning, black pepper, garlic jalapeño, chili powder, paprika
5. Sriracha is optional
1. Grab a bag of baby potatoes and rinse them off with cold water. Let them sit in a bowl of water for about 15 minutes.
2. Make sure to preheat your oven to 375.
3 Boil a pot of water big enough for the potatoes to fit.
4. Once the 15 minutes are up and the water is boiled, add the potatoes in, salt well, and cover the pot. Boil on medium-high heat until the potatoes are very soft. (Test with a fork)
5. Next, drain the potatoes and let them cool down.
6. Grab a pan, spray down with olive oil, and grab a baby potato. You are going to gently going to press down on the center of the potato with the top of your fingers so it’s flattened out. OR, you can use a glass and use the bottom to flatten the potato out.
7. Repeat this step with all of the baby potatoes.
8. Season the baby potatoes with: a drizzle of olive oil, 2 TSPs of adobo seasoning, 1 TSP of black pepper, 1/2 TSP of garlic jalapeño, 1/2 TSP or more of chili powder, and 1 TSP of paprika. With a brush make sure that all potatoes are coated equally with the seasonings and olive oil.
9. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
10. Once the potatoes look brown, gently take the pan out of the oven and flip each potato. 11. Bake again for another 5-10 minutes.
12. Take them out and add sriracha onto the potatoes if you'd like.