I know that mashed potatoes are a hit at every Thanksgiving dinner but if you’re either dairy free or vegan and still want to enjoy delicious mashed potatoes, these are for you! This is the Arab (Syrian) way to make mashed potatoes. You can enjoy these with pita bread for an authentic Arab experience or just use a fork! So let’s get to it shall we?
Yield: 4-6 people
Prep time: 25 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
This recipe is dairy free, gluten free, vegetarian, and vegan.
1. 2 Russet Potatoes
2. Extra virgin olive oil
4. White onion
Replacement suggestion: If you are sensitive to onion, you do not have to add it to your mashed potatoes.
1. First, wash your potatoes and soak them in water for 15 minutes.
2. Next, peel your potatoes and chop them into quarters.
3. Boil them in water in a pot on medium-high heat until they are soft.
4. Take them out, and mash them well.
5. If you want to add onion, finely dice ¼ a white onion and mash them into the potatoes thoroughly.
6. Salt well and drizzle in olive oil to your liking.
7. Mash well, taste to see if it needs more salt, and enjoy!